Forum home The potting shed

At least it's well watered

13»

• star gaze lilystar gaze lily Posts: 13,272

Oh dear think more than one person got out of bed the wrong side this morningimage

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 2,769

Our water is free, but definitely not to be wasted. We have our own spring and collecting tank but if the tank were emptied it could take a long time to refill in a dry season. Then we have to ration showers (no baths) and flushing the loo, though we still use the dishwasher  (less water than hand washing) and the washing machine (on eco and only one load at a time if its very dry). I use the hose to hand water the greenhouse and tubs, if there has been enough rainfall to keep the tank full. Otherwise I use the water butts or walk down to the big pond with my watering cans, like someone in a third world country. Garden plants never get watered unless newly planted.

In times of high rainfall we could be more profligate if we chose. There is no point worrying about grey water here, as whether it runs off the land or is used by us in some way and goes through the septic tank, it all goes down the same little stream, into a bigger stream, into a river and eventually into the Mersey. We do have to pay for the septic tank to be emptied though!