Forum home The potting shed

At least it's well watered

• Lou12Lou12 Posts: 1,149
    I've done this and we're on a meter, my bill went up by one pound that month image I was not pleased with myself though - such a waste of water.
  • I've never ever used a sprinkler because that's just so wasteful of a valuable resource.    I only ever water the garden with "grey water" recycled from the washing machine, dishwasher, bath and showers.

We're on a private supply.     That might well make us more conscious that water is finite.   I've also done some work for water utility companies and via that some voluntary work overseas for WaterAid. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 60,363

I grew up on a farm so were used to all our water being metered.  When I was very young  times were exceptionally hard for our family and only adults were allowed to flush the loo, our baths were shallow, only happened once a week and we got in one after the other, finishing with Pa 'cos he was dirtiest.  Otherwise it was strip-washing, unless Pa had been doing something that made him very dirty indeed.  The garden wasn't watered - but there we were on the water-retentive clay-based soil of High Suffolk.  

Here I garden on shallow free-draining sandy loam over chalk, and have two large ash trees which take a huge amount of moisture from the soil.  We keep improving the soil with home-made compost and bought in manure, but if we didn't water the veg plot we'd have no veg.

We have two rainwater butts and use this water while it's available, but we do live in one of the driest parts of the country and sometimes they are empty. I'd love to have installed bigger and better rain water and grey-water saving schemes, but I don't have the funds.

As for the flowers, this year for the first time I've installed a trickle-hoze on the Shady Bank and the improvement in the plants has been noticeable - but I only use it once or twice a week  for an hour or two at the most, and then only in the very dry spells - probably only half a dozen times in all this summer so far, and as I've said, I use a kitchen timer to make sure I don't forget to turn it off.  Other than that we only water newly planted plants or plants that are visibly struggling due to lack of water. We never water the lawn. 

I'm on a small pension, and I know it adds to our water bill, but gardening is my hobby - other people have foreign holidays, new cars, go on outings, shopping, to the theatre and eat out etc much more than we do. 

I can't imagine the horror of having to give my children water that could make them ill - when it's time for me to be put on the compost heap, any that care to remember me can do so by giving to Water Aid. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,169

How many people leave the tap running while you clean your teeth?

My friend in Western Australia has no rain for months at a time. They are sand over limestone, so everything runs straight through. Many houses have private boreholes for garden watering. They are only allowed to use sprinklers on certain days each week, and the rain water butt is bigger than my shed, 5 thousand gallons I think. It takes all the water off of the roof. Everyone has meters, baths are classes as luxuries.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 4,062

Welshonion, it must be wonderful to be perfect.  I don't think a couple of extra hours of watering is going to send the local water supply into crisis.  The bed I was watering is sheltered by a fence and actually gets very little water even when it rains hard.  We are in the process of a complete garden redesign and the plants need the water.

Maybe better to be in receipt of all the facts before getting on your high horse.

• TopbirdTopbird Posts: 5,510
    I live in Suffolk & clearly remember the geography teacher telling us that if we had just a couple of inches less rain per annum many parts of E Anglia would be officially classed as desert.

A neighbour is a farmer in his 80's & refers to the soil in our village as 'hungry, thirsty soil' - ie you can improve & improve but it still wants more. The mature trees all around don't help matters.

If I didn't water I would not have garden at all. I try to water responsibly - occasional long soaks in the evening - concentrating on areas which are flagging & the veg. I also use lots of composts and mulches & use water butts.

I know that water is a precious resource & don't take it for granted but keen gardeners in the east and south east corner will usually need to irrigate some of their garden from time to time.

Those in the north and west probably never have to water. I wish I didnt - I resent the time & money it takes ( yes we are on a meter).
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 60,363

Everyone pays for water - some by meter and some through a blanket charge.  One of the 'selling points' the water companies use to persuade people to switch to installing a meter is that a large percentage of people find they actually save money by doing so - surely that means that many people not on water meters may well be subsidising those who are ............. image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• TopbirdTopbird Posts: 5,510

Good point Dove image 

We have a caravan. When you have to collect and dispose of your own water over the course of 1 or 2 week holiday it makes you very conscious of only using just enough water for washing up & showering - and never leaving taps running unnecessarily. Those habits quickly transfer to the home environment. We do not waste water. 

We know more than a few people who think nothing of having 2 or 3 showers a day, or wearing a shirt for a couple of hours and then putting it in the basket for washing so the washing machine is on once or twice a day every day. I think this is a waste of water and energy - but then again they probably think we smell a bit imageimage

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • We don't pay in that way at all.

Rather we're "just" responsible for paying for all of the capital costs for the infrastructure and associated with collecting it and moving it to where it needs to be.

The "grey water" collection system we have isn't sophisticated nor expensive at all.  It merely means that instead of water going down a drain, it goes to a holding tank that has a hose connector tap on it.

I'm thinking we've all been dumb and left a tap running at some point. 

If folks feel the urge to invite comment by posting about something dumb that they did and then choose to get their knickers in a knot when they read something they don't like, then perhaps rather than attacking the likes of Welshonion for putting your nose out of joint rather than get bent out of shape because you received something you didn't ask for, be gracious and either ignore or discard what's said or else learn that perhaps a forum isn't the place for you to post about the dumb things you've done unless of course you just like the drama. 

• star gaze lilystar gaze lily Posts: 13,250

Our village had meters installed a few years ago, wether we wanted them or not. It does make you more careful to not waste water....ie....when cleaning teeth or rinsing veg etc.

But I'm sure we are all sensible and KT53 left the hose on accidentally.  I'm sure we've all left something running/turned on too long at sometime or another.