Garlic what varieties and where do I buy

ECEC Posts: 21

Hi all

im planning and budgeting ahead.

ive grown garlic in small pots the last couple of years and this year Id like to get serious and plant garlic in large pots and a raised bed this Autumn.

Id like to grow a few varieties... Any suggestions? What do you all grow?

Any suggestions as to where to buy them? My local garden centres tend to be rubbish on the veg front so probably need to buy online.

thanks

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 11,231

try the garlic farm on the isle of wight.

http://www.thegarlicfarm.co.uk/

It's not a mess, it's a nature reserve.
  • Try some Wild Garlic as a novelty if you can source it. The bulbs are smaller and milder flavour but they make a change and you can chop the leaves in a salad.The plants and flowers are attractive in the spring but? if the conditions are right they will naturalise and spread via the seeds. The leaves die back to nothing in the summer but the bulbs remain and come back each year. You've prompted me to find a few seeds and if you post, I'll send you some.

• KEFKEF Posts: 8,915

EC I bought Solent White from GC and planted in the Autumn...well pleased with them, huge and plenty of flavour.

Hard neck so should store well image

• chris 172chris 172 Posts: 401

Hi I have planted Solent white which bought from allotment shop and have had a great harvest approx 100 bulbs which will last the year .  I will keep about twenty of the biggest bulbs to split and replant in October for next years stock.

have done this for the past three years with good returns happy gardening

• ECEC Posts: 21

Hi all thanks so much for the tips.

Vegemight I have some seeds lurking in the bottom of my seed tin I will give them a go! Thanks so much for the offer though.

KEF at the risk of sounding stupid what does GC stand for? 

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 2,930

Stands for Garden Centre