Fuschia

tattiannatattianna Posts: 174

I have 4 Fuschias all in pots, Baby blue eyes, Annabelle, Alice Hoffman and Shrimp Cocktail none of which are showing any signs of growth yet. I believe they are all hardy and was wondering if I should be cutting them back hard or not?

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,806

The top growth should be all twiggy-I shall cut all my hardies down to the ground once this cold spell has goneimage

• LynLyn Posts: 8,384

Me too, wait till you see some shoots, they may have died over this cold winter, even the ones they say are hardy, are not always, I couldnt leave my annabelle outside.

Have you checked the roots for vine weevil.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 
  • nodlisabnodlisab Posts: 394

Scratch off some bark,if its green underneath they are still alive.

• LynLyn Posts: 8,384

Or, the greener version.

http://www.savethe.co.uk/nemasys-vine-weevil-killer?language=en&currency=GBP&gclid=CN_z99-pmLYCFY3LtAodI1kAXA

Which is what I used last year, so no baby grubs to turn into adult weevils  this year.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 
  • tattiannatattianna Posts: 174

Ssshhhh don't mention vine weevilkiller with-in ear shot of my husband...believe me you wont like him when he's angry! I made a ridiculously stupid  stupid, stupid, mistake with the stuff last year which resulted in the loss of quite a few of his Koi. image 

But no I haven't checked for the 'orrible little blighters but will do asap. 

They are in a sheltered spot all huddled together in a corner between the house and conservatory and they're in about 10-12inch pots.

And oh Lyn I'm quite worried now after you saying you couldn't leave your Annabelle outside image 

All that said the fuchsias I have had planted in the garden and have been there for years aren't even showing any signs of life yet either and they have both survived worse winters that this so perhaps all isn't lost just yet image

• Jean GenieJean Genie Posts: 1,724

Interesting tip, Brumbull. image

Does the same principle apply to standards ?  Could you explain hot dipping witrh Jeyes Fluid please ?image

• Jean GenieJean Genie Posts: 1,724

Thanks . B.B. Golly gosh - the stuff I learn about on here is amazing. image

• Andy19Andy19 Posts: 548

Thanks for sharing that with us Brumbull your post are always interesting keep up the good work on here for us just starting out.