Forum home Tools and techniques

What colour is best for a microclimate?

I am building a fence in my garden, one side will have dahlias planted in the bed by it, and be painted black to really show off the flowers.  The other side will be near the greenhouse, and I want to use it as shelter for hardening off plants.  My question is, what colour would be best to paint it, black or white?  White would obviously increase  light levels, but black would store heat to release over night, keeping the plants warmer.  The greenhouse side of the fence faces east, and gets some sun for most of the day.

Cheers.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,512

Dark green would look more natural than black and would show off the dahlias just as well.   

Wood doesn't store heat to release overnight.  You need bricks or stones for that so paint both sides green.  It'll be easier.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,778

I have to say, I love black, having seen barns painted black with lovely borders in front.

I'd not go with white, as soon as it's painted, it'll  just get worse and worse. White only works when it's pristine and with rain, mud splash etc, that wouldn't be the case.

Each to his own eh?

Devon.