Mares Tail - how to win

My farther has the dreaded mares tail. He spent a fortune on perennials last yeAr and its swamped everything! If he digs it comes thicker, if he leaves it it just engulfs everything. This has come from a neighbour and has now nearly taken over all of his garden. In his veg plot he manages and ignores it then turns the soil as normal, but when it comes to flower beds it suffocates everything. Anyone won or managed the war, please help!

• BrummieBenBrummieBen Posts: 459

marestail equals heavy duty weed matting, not the pound shop type.. You will need like no light for 2 maybe 3 years to get rid of it.. sorry but marestail is worse than bind weed in that respect.. personally I'd weed mat then everytime it rose it's head I'd paint it with double strength glyphosphate.. just my own routine mind image

• I had this in one garden. If it is coming from next door, it will keep coming until you put a physical barrier there - slate or similar sunk in the ground. I also had Japanese knotweed!! Full strength Roundup was my solution - paiinted on the mares tail and pured into the cut stems of the knotweed. The best solution, some say, may be to get in a  firm to spray the whole garden with strong weedkiller then leave it uncultivated for a year, but of course this is frustrating in the extreme for a gardener 

• Depressing!!!!
  • Alan4711Alan4711 Posts: 1,569

red if you want a telephone number of a man to talk to i can email it to you if your site will let me, hes an expert on such things and was very helpful to Kate and i last year with similar probs

Alan4711

• marshmellomarshmello Posts: 683

If someone has won this war, I'd like to speak to them pronto. Been trying for 8yrs with no success.

I don't have a flowerbed of the stuff but a massive allotment. Breaks my back digging it every year.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 19,776
    marshmello wrote (see)

If someone has won this war, I'd like to speak to them pronto. Been trying for 8yrs with no success.

I don't have a flowerbed of the stuff but a massive allotment. Breaks my back digging it every year.

Soul destroying. I had similar problem with a neighbour and smothering does seem to be the best solution but on a big area it's not always feasible. Constantly chopping them off at the ankles helps weaken them too but they come up so quickly that it's tough to keep on top of them. As GG says a physical  barrier works too but very hard unless it's only a small section.

to walk through a forest is to touch the past

• marshmellomarshmello Posts: 683

Yeh, it can be. I must admit I've tried all of those ideas and nothings worked - well not for me.image

• Sounds like moving to a pest free garden then!!
  • My farther keeps offering me little seedlings etc and horrid as it sounds I decline as I'm currently free of any nasty weeds and want to stay that way!
  • You must remember that Horse tails/Mares tail were around when the Dinosaurs where on the planet,  600 million years ago and it used to grow to around 6 feet tall,  so if it survived the extinction of them and all the various things that has happened to this planet in the meanwhile you must admire it's tenacity even though we don't like it,  so I doubt that much will kill it on a permanent basis.