Forum home Wildlife gardening

Bee boxes

What do bees actually do with these houses? I've had a couple of bees going in and out of them in my garden

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,664

I suppose they have two or three different uses. In the winter, insects of all types could use them as a hibernation roost. In summer, solitary bees could use them as a place to lay an egg. Spiders could use them all year round as a place to hide and lie in wait for prey.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 60,525

Lots of fascinating info here http://www.foxleas.com/bee_house.htm

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• I get two distinct populations in mine, masonry bees in the early part of the summer and when they hatch out I get leafcutters who seem to take their building material from a standard willow in the garden. I love watching the speed at which they can chop out their half circle!

• I put mine up according to google, the opening faces almost due south and gets morning sunshine, actually it gets sunshine for most of the day.

• sanjy67sanjy67 Posts: 1,007

mine is about 8inches off the ground and has three holes 'leaf filled' on an east facing wall but i have also seen a full up one at top of fence height 4/5 ft.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,664

I found one trying to use the keyhole in the shed the other day. And they love the little holes made for the dowels underneath the garden table top - the idea of bees flying up your skirt is not a comfortable one.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Oh yes, I didn't say that it is at top of a 6' fence.

Bumblebees like to be at ground level I believe.

• Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

There is a hole in the ground at the end of my allotment which bees have been flying in and out of for a couple of months.  I noticed this week that all activity has stopped.  Does anyone know what they were actually using the hole for?

• They will have been nesting. They move on when they feel like it.

• Something to mention is that boxes like the one pictured with a thin exterior wall are, as I understand it, best moved somewhere sheltered for the winter as they aren't insulated enough to stop the larvae freezing to death as they overwinter.