Forum home Problem solving

Various problems :( pics included

Hey, ive noticed that the flower heads on my plans seem to be dying before they open. it seems to be happening in different areas of the garden to different plants image

any ideas what it could be or how to combat it?

and then i have another problem, some of my plants literally look like they have been burned with fire, all singed and blackened.......again any ideas? image

any help would b most appreciated image

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,154

No idea what is causing the blackening but the flower heads are all affected at about the same distance down the stem. Birds doing a bit of exploratory nibbling maybe?

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • PentilliePentillie Posts: 411

Did you by any chance use horse manure in the affected areas? Over the last seven or eight years a lot of brought-in horse manure has been badly affected by a chemical called aminopyralid, used as a weed killer on grasslands, and subsequently ingested by cattle and horses in their feed.  The result of growing plants in affected soil produced similar, or worse, results as you show.

Nobody on my allotment site now uses horse manure, so I hope that's not the cause of your problem.

• HeftyHefty Posts: 370

hey thanks for the suggestion - but no i have not used any horse manure

only thing i have done is use liquid feed, but if i used it incorrectly then wouldnt all the plants have this problem?

• PentilliePentillie Posts: 411

Liquid feed or manure should never be watered on plant leaves, but the roots of the plants should preferably be drenched. Perhaps some of your plants can tolerate their leaves being watered by liquid feed, whilst the damaged ones are more susceptible to damage? I' m not suggesting you covered your plants with liquid feed, but we need to be very careful with the strength of the mixture, and if homemade, from nettles or comfrey, it can be too easy to make it too strong and cause burning.

good luck in your investigations!

ps. Not wishing to sound too gloomy, but aminopyralid has been found in many commercial composts and bags of 'farmyard manures' - and they are still on sale in some of the largest DIY and garden centres.........

Thx - im sure i made the feed the correct strength etc, but maybe it was too strong, BUT i used the feed around 2 weeks ago and still have this problem with the dead flower buds - i dont seem to b able to find anything about it on the web either (something called "bud blast" did come up but seemed to b specific to orchids)

Any more suggestions would b most appreciated! image
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,472

Have they been short of water and wilted at any time?

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

@ dove - no they have not wilted at all, and have not been over or under watered either..........really weird and kinda disheartening really.....my lovely flowers not opening.......

@ verdun thanks for the suggestion, im hoping its just something random that passes.......otherwise theres something weird going on.......

this is still an issue for me - anyone know what may be wrong??