Is it worth having a garden professionally designed?

Is it better to get a professional design for a garden, or just to follow your nose and see what happens as you're working?

Of course it’s not always necessary to have everything really well thought through - some projects do just evolve. But personally, I always say that creativity is relatively cheap compared to the idea that ‘throwing money at a project is the best way forward’. In my opinion, a well designed garden need not rely on expensive paving, etc. you can make a better garden using well thought through planting ideas which are relatively inexpensive.

I think that taking the time (and even swallowing the expense) of getting a proper design done before starting work will give time for new ideas to breathe, and can help to solve the problems of the site and maximise the potential of the available space. Also, no more plants that keel over and die because they have been planted in the wrong place!

I'd like to know what everyone else's experience has been, though - was your designed garden worthwhile or not? Did you skip the designing phase of your garden and get great results, or regret it? Look forward to your responses!

• LynLyn Posts: 8,374

If I could afford it, yes good idea, I would love someone to come in, design, dig, plant so all I need to do is add and tidy. Got anyone in mind for the job. Probably could get it dome for about 30 grand.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 
  • rhonsalrhonsal Posts: 25

I went for a bit of a mix - i created the design, and paid someone to come in a do all the hard work of removing turf, putting in extra drainage, putting down paving and building raised beds.

I alreay had a lot of plants that i had collected over time or had been given to me by friends/family!

This worked for me as i only had a limited budget - at the end the landscaper said my design had worked out well and he would be using some of my ideas in another garden!!

Good luck and enjoy what ever route you decide to take!

• Bunny ...Bunny ... Posts: 3,455

Well done Rhonsal ...hope you are charging him commisionimage

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,806

Hello David Andersen asking a question about garden design?-is this a genuine question or a tout for business?

http://www.davidandersen.co.uk/

I see from your profile you are designerimage

Just thought you might like to make that clear?image

• punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 5,196

Each to their own I suppose. I like to do it all myself then I am proud of my successes, and my failures I just see as opportunities to start again. I think that one of the keys is that if you are not happy then move things or even, [ although sometimes I find this hard ] throw things out. One of the great joys of growing your own is that you allways have stuff to put into the places where things have not quite worked out. Good gardens evolve over time and the pleasure you get on those days when everthing looks wonderful is all the greater knowing that you did it. i do supplement my own ideas with stuff from books, TV and garden visits but allways with a twist.

Ku Klux Klan serve hot soul food and the band plays in the mood

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,228

I wouldn't let someone else loose on my patch

• marshmellomarshmello Posts: 683

I think it depends on what your trying to acheive. Not everyone can create what they visually see in their own minds, so need to pay someone else to create it.

And also, the difficulty level is an important factor. Some of your designs on the site for example, could not be acheived without an experts input. Beautiful as there are.

It's personal choice. If you've got the money, why not pay a professional. I know I would .

• blackestblackest Posts: 623

Some nice designs to be fair,  from David.

I think there are two types of people when it comes to gardens, Decorators and Gardeners.

Decorators are looking for a quick fix, they want the garden to look nice so they can entertain and enjoy their garden but not really spend too much time working on it. The real Gardeners take a pride in making their garden and are willing to work on it to develop something quite individual to them. I doubt there are many Decorators on this site image      

I'm sure there are times when you need a professionals help  we can't all dig ponds and lay patios but for me how my garden looks will be from what I want (and can afford) and not how a designer decided it should be. Inspiration can come from anywhere but your garden should be yours.

• LynLyn Posts: 8,374
    Lyn wrote (see)

If I could afford it, yes good idea, I would love someone to come in, design, dig, plant so all I need to do is add and tidy. Got anyone in mind for the job. Probably could get it dome for about 30 grand.

I thought he might have come back and offered me a quote.image

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.