Tomato seedlings

Tonight my partner brought home 6 2 inch tomato plants from aldi. He thought these were a bargain at 1.99. We potted them up about 10 minutes ago and have them a water. They are now sat on some capillary matting in a tray in my unheated conservatory. Do you think they will be ok. I somehow think its very early for tomatoes! They are gardeners delights. Should I cover them with cut off pop bottles or anything? I usually buy more established plants 5-7" late April and put in a pop up greenhouse! Anyone got any thoughts....

• flowering roseflowering rose Posts: 1,632

if your conservatory is unheated you could try the plastic bottle thing,but with the weather as it is it might be a little early.image

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,806

It is a bit early for tomatoes in a cold greenhouse-providing the conservatory is frost-free they should be ok as regards surviving -it is more a case of see what happens?image

• LynLyn Posts: 8,378
    Mine are still in the conservatoty, I wouldn't put them in the green house yet.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 
  • These plants would have been germinating around 16c so keep them inside till it warms up when it does start hardening them off I grow Gardeners Delight in my green house they do well outside they can be dodgy especially up here in the north.

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 12,092

Couldn't you bring them indoors for the night?

• I have put an oil filled radiator in there and turned it in low around 1-4am. Think this will do the trick??
  • ItalophileItalophile Posts: 1,647

They're going to need light as much as warmth, RD, as much light as they can get. Preferably sunlight. The longer you can keep the temps in the low to mid teens the better. But light is the absolute key.

• They are in the window of the conservatory and the blinds are up so its as close as I can get to being outside without putting them out. Just hope they don't draw!
  • ItalophileItalophile Posts: 1,647

That's probably as good as you can do under the circumstances. Just try to keep them as warm as possible.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,623

Good morning Italophile image 

I've not dared start any of mine off yet this year - thought I'd be brave and do it this coming weekend - the thing is once they've outgrown the windowsills I've only got a mini greenhouse and a plastic growhouse to move them on to.  

I'm afraid this is going to be a short season - I'm wondering whether I should save my heritage seeds for another year and go for some modern types in order to be more likely to get a crop?  What do you think?

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !