Forum home Wildlife gardening

Tadpoles....I think

I left an old cat litter tray outside in the garden as I'm growing some plants from seed in egg boxes and it was handy as a watering tray. I've planted the seeds out but left the watery cat litter tray on the patio and now there are "things" in it. Thet look a bit like tadpoles but they are very tiny and I feel I should encourage them in their tiny pond until they are big enough to leave on their own so I've topped up the water and bunged a few bits of greenery in there for them to hide from the sun, a large nasturtium leaf and so on. I'm not sure they are tadpoles but what else could they be? Pondlife is a bit of a mystery to me. I'm now tempted to buy a ceramic mini pond for future watery creatures.

• If they are at the surface and go deep with a side to side wiggle when disturbed, they are mosquito larvae...
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,306

beat me to it.

Devon.
  • Lou12Lou12 Posts: 1,149
    Yes that's them - oh well they deserve to live like everything else. I'll ditch the tray when they have flown the nest.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,852

Good bat food when hatchedimage

mosquitoes are said to be responsible , via malaria , for the deaths of 33% of the human population in history ( apart from warfare). I'd happily kill them.

Devon.

My bats do kill themimage

I love bats, but I'd prefer them to stick to moths. ( my only phobia )

Devon.

I love moths as well. The nut nature reserve has a very high species countimage

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    Funnily enough a bat came in and flew round the room last night. It settled on a curtain and I was able to put it out. Not sure how it got in as the windows are closed!