Forum home Plants

Burning Bush

2»

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 60,315

We used to call Dictamnus Alatus the Burning Bush; I've also heard it used to refer to Bassia Scoparia.  Thank goodness for Latin names image

I've never heard it used to refer to  Euonymus Alatus but having googled I've found it referred to as a hedging plant.  I'm surprised - I would have thought that to treat it as a hedge would be to lose it's best features which are it's elegant form and the colour of the autumn foliage which is at it's best with the low autumn sunlight shining through it.  I also don't want to be discouraging, but I'd have thought you'd have to wait several years for any sort of a hedge if growing it from seed. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,107

I'm confused as well, not even sure we're talking about euonymus. If we are, the Dove is right, a long wait for a hedge.

I think burning bush might cover anything red. There was a much grown annual when I was a kid. Leafy thing, coloured up in the late summer. That was called burning bush as well

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,638

C'mon Andy! spill the beans, what does it say on the packet?

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Caz WCaz W Posts: 1,353

Nutcutlet - I remember having plants like those once.  Think their name was Kochia ?

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,107

It was Caz. Didn't find that out til much later had forgotten again

• Andy19Andy19 Posts: 657

Hi all sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you busy at work am sure it's Euonymus Alatus not got the packet just wrote Burning Bush on the label will upload photo later of the seeds.