wet clay soil & new turf

Hi there, we just started removing the gravel in our back garden to be able to lay turf. when we started removing the stones and the membrane the soil is obviously clay soil. We've had some heavy rain the past few days and its turned it into a swamp! Just looking for ideas as to what to put down to help with drainage before we lay the turf next week. Was thinking of mixing sharp sand in with the mucky clay? Would I be better mixing top soil and sand and lay that on top on the muddy clay ? thanks

• richhondacrichhondac Posts: 208
    Organic matter and sharp sand help to brake up the clay if you Rotivat it in but you do need to add a lot to make a difference
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,437
    It could just be that your soil is looking worse because it has been compacted under a layer of gravel for x number of years. Perhaps if you rotovate it and get some air into it you will find that it is not too bad. Have a look at the gardens next door and see what their soil is like. That will give you a fairly good idea as to your own.
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • derek sderek s Posts: 2
    The soil is really wet and squelchy in places when I fork it over.

What sort of sand should I work into it?

Would the top soil/sand idea work on top of the clay?
  • richhondacrichhondac Posts: 208
    If you add sand it needs to be sharp sand and lots of it to work

When I replaced my lawn I added a bulk bag or sharp sand bulk bag of top soil and a bulk bag of compost and Rotivated the garden and releveleled