Cucumbers

Matty2Matty2 Posts: 4,820

Last year i grew cue seedlings, potted them on and then disaster - no cucumbers last year

This year i have some good looking, if tall, seedlings, they are just getting their second leaves, How do i avoid the problems of last year?

• flowering roseflowering rose Posts: 1,632

don't forget to pollinate them and take off the male flowers.

• LilylouiseLilylouise Posts: 1,014

Last year was a bad year - I am sure this year will be better image

I plant my cues on top of a little mound of compost - the one thing that cues hate is water around the base of the plants. Feed and water them regularly,mist the plants to stop red spider mites getting a hold and lets hope for some good weather image

Pam LL x  

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,806

Pam -help-I am growing Marketmore in the greenhouse-the seeds courtesy of Dean-packet says outdoor does it matter?image

• Caz WCaz W Posts: 1,353

We found out the hard way about carelessly sloshing the water around the cucumber plants but what a brilliant idea Pam of planting them on top of a little mound!  Will def. do that when mine are big enough to pot on - the just peeped through the surface today image

sotongeoff wrote (see)

Pam -help-I am growing Marketmore in the greenhouse-the seeds courtesy of Dean-packet says outdoor does it matter?image

We have only ever grown Marketmore outside Geoff - it is a lovely cue  image They grow well up a wigwam of canes so don't take up too much space - do you really want to grow them in your greenhouse?

Pam LL x

Yes Pam-it is the space outside-as opposed to the space under cover-but there will only two plants- could grow then in a container ouside with support?

If it was me I would do both image Try a plant in the greenhouse and one in a container outside - see which does best image

Pam LL x

Wilco-Pam dont even like them- but free seeds- and OHimage

• Bunny ...Bunny ... Posts: 3,455
    image Geoff me and dog could live on cuc image

Geoff - I also grow Crystal Apple/Lemon cues and a small fruited  variety called La Diva - homegrown cues taste soooooooo much nicer than shop bought image In my greenhouse I will be trying a couple of grafted ones called Fitness image

Pam LL x