Forum home Wildlife gardening

Ms Chaffinch pays a visit

Our main room looks out onto both garden so we occasionally get birds startled from the feeders in the back garden try to fly through the double glazing to escape.

So, anyway, this happened the other day with a chaffinch. Found it upside down in the wildflowers looking stunned. Picked it up to give it time to recover before the neighbourhood cats got a hold of it. Poor we thing was sitting with its beak open panting, so we phoned the RSPB. Whilst sitting on hold, it flew out of my hand, into the kitchen, then turned around and flew in the a different window and landed on its back again. Picked it up again and it finally flew out the door and up into a tree.

• Yup, we've had the same issue this year with a greenfinch fledgling that the cat got to first.
  • Daryl2Daryl2 Posts: 452

We lost a baby woodpecker a couple of days ago. Such a loud bang then I found it completely lifeless on the patio. Poor little thing. I picked it up but it was completely dead - must have broken it's neck instantly when it hit. It was the black and white type - very beautiful. 

• Great crested woodpecker?    Same as this?   We've 3 pairs of them all nesting in the garden.  

We had a pigeon smack into a window yesterday.  The whole of it's outline is visible on the window!    I never pick them up.  Indeed it's best if you don't.   If you've got a cat then bring the cat indoors and give the stunned / shocked bird time to recover.   Or else you can put an upturned box over the bird.  Giving it darkness will keep it calm and quiet and and help it to recover and will protect it... particularly helpful if there are cats or it's wet or cold.    A lot of the small birds can easily die of shock just from being picked up and if it's a fledgling and you move it then it might well lose contact with it's mother or else she might abandon it.

If it's happening regularly because of your bird feeder situation then you may need to reposition it.    Either move it further away (well away) or else even closer.  If it's say just 2 feet away then the birds may well still hit the window but not with so much force that they injure themselves.

• I was in the office one day and a sparrowhawk swooped down and took a thrush off a shrub right outside the window and then smacked into the window with a right bang.   It was kind of thrush first.    Both fell to the ground.  The thrush still in the hawk's tallons.  I thought both were dead. 

We were looking at them out of the window and then the hawk recoverd and flew off with the thrush still in it's talons.    Amazing to see.