Forum home Talkback

Scabiosa

This is my first year of growing Scabiosa,I did not realise how bushy they grew and bulked out very bushliketaking up quite a large space.I would appreciate any helpful info such as when to trim or prune and whether I an split and replant in the autumn.Thanks in anticipation.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,668

Which Scabiosa are you growing - the annual or perennial?

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Do you know,I haven't a clue,I was sent them last year from gardeners world offer along with Canterbury Bells.they are lilac coloured.

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,253

Pete - the two scabious I have that I can definitely ID are Field and Devil's-bit. I have a third which I 'think' is Small scabious.

As far as I know both Field and Devil's-bit are perennial and I'm assuming can be divided, though I grew the Field from seed. I'm new to all three image

• Do they grow bushy and cover quite a bit of space?

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,253

Well the devils-bit likes moist to wet conditions, the field drier. But both have more of an upright habit I would say. If its ground cover you're after then I'd say no.

• Thanks. Jo47'your purple one sounds exactly like mine,am amazed how many bees are on my plants,they make it hard to dead head,So I assume mine is perennial so I'll cut it back in AutumN and then split and replant.

• I've got Butterfly blue, blue jeans and caucasica Fama.   I do also have a load of red scabiosa but can't remember what varieties.     Mine are all perennials.  They are indeed great for bees.    They tend to all need to be in well drained soil.  Soggy and damp soil is what tends to kill them.

I'd suggest as you don't know what you've got that you just wait till autumn when it dies back and chop it right back to the ground.    I tend to lift and divide mine then too providing we've not already started with hard frost and snow.   IF we have then I'll wait till spring and do them then.   Not killed one yet.

• Good thinking Northern Lass,I will do as you do .