flowering privet

At the bottom of my garden I have a flowering privet, at least it looks like privet leaves, which is a magnet for butterflies - especially painted ladies - bees and other insects.  I didn't plant it, it just appeared a few years ago.  My neighbours are really jealous of this bush and want cuttings, can cuttings be taken from this bush, and if so, how?

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    Privet is perhaps the commonest hedging plant there is. Yes, cuttings will be easy, but it won't flower until it is tall. That takes some years.

There were comments on the forum recently about flowering privet. Lots of people don't like the smell. So let your neighbours have a good sniff before they take cuttings!
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 54,437

I love the smell of privet flowers image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• 1Runnybeak11Runnybeak1 Posts: 8,289

I love the smell of the privet flower/hedge.      It evokes memories of my childhood when most people had a privet hedge. 

• Snap! 1Runnybeak1! image

• B3B3 Posts: 9,727

I love the smell of privet. It reminds me of endless school holidays. I always stop for a sniff. But agreed some people hate it. A bit like marinate which I Luke too!

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Thanks for all comments, luckily neighbour likes the smell.  Comment about it only flowering in maturity explains why I've only noticed it in past two years as it's in the 'wild' bit of garden!! Does anyone know how one takes cuttings! still don't know how it got there as I've had garden for 27 yrs and didn't plant it and haven't noticed it 'berry'.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 54,437

It's the right time of year to take semi-ripe cuttings with a 'heel' - info here https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=404

Good luck image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thank you for that information, link explains very clearly, even I can understand it and I'm not a very knowledgeable gardener.

• Jim MacdJim Macd Posts: 751

Privet is dead easy from hardwood cuttings too. There is a native privet too which will flower in it's second year from cutting no problem. Ligustrum vulgare It has the same lovely smell as ligustrum ovalifolium. The native one will seed so it's possible that's where it came from, i.e. from a bird eating the berries. Hardwood cuttings - just take sections of this seasons growth about 20cm long, the stronger bits if possible,  in winter, strip off the leaves and plunge them into a spade cut up to their necks. I've had privet grow from quite old wood that got buried under some soil. That's why it's cheap and so common, apart from it doing a good job.