Forum home Talkback

Leylandii hedges

Jo71Jo71 Posts: 34

I have 3 tall leylandii hedges around my garden and these are now looking very untidy. these now need a good tidy up but is it the right time of year to do this or should I wait until Sept time. 

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,992

I normally cut mine Oct/Nov time.

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • Jo71Jo71 Posts: 34

Thanks hogweed I thought it should be a bit later in the year but I don't know why do you?

• cathy43cathy43 Posts: 373

We inherited a large leylandii hedge when we moved into a new house, which had not been maintained and had to get a professional in to trim it, recommended a light trim in september and a full trim in april/may. September was so that it didn't get unruly but left enough for frost protection and then the full trim after the risk of frost had past and the fresh growth wouldn't add increased bulk. Hope this makes senseimage

Two years ago we had the whole lot taken out, it was 12ft high and 6/8ft deep, It would have been a lovely hedge if maintained in the first place. Good luck

• Jo71Jo71 Posts: 34

Thanks Cathy43. I think I will have mine trimmed in Sept and then a good cut in spring. That makes sense. I want to do it properly because they make a good hedge????

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 3,132

You can only cut it in Spring if you know for certain that there are no birds nesting in it.

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,992

A cut once a year in October/nov time keeps it tidy all year.

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller