Forum home Talkback

Drooping leaves on almond plant

John 35John 35 Posts: 3
Hello. I have a young almond plant, about 6" high. It's on the bathroom window sill, which gets sun in the afternoon. The window is very slightly open so there is a small draught. I water it most days. The problem is that the leaves droop, especially at the top. Is anyone able to offer advice on how I can solve this?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,664

Hi John image

Did you grow this from seed? image

Very few plants need watering every day, especially if they're in the humid atmosphere of a bathroom.  Almonds grow naturally in areas with free-draining soil so I suggest that you cut right back on watering - only water when the soil beneath the surface is dry.  It would probably be much happier in a sheltered spot outside.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• John 35John 35 Posts: 3
    Hello. Thank you for your reply.

Yes, it was grown from seed. I'll give it a try outside, hopefully it takes to a Manchester summer!
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,664

As it's been very sheltered indoors don't put it anywhere in strong sunlight or the leaves will scorch as they'll be very tender.  It'll need starting off in dappled shade.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• John 35John 35 Posts: 3
    Thank you