Forum home Garden design

Allotment shed can anyone help!?!

• FloBearFloBear Posts: 2,281

Will await developments, Tomtom image

• I think they're being daft.  Surely they'd rather you bought a shed that looked tidy, rather than you having a go at making one out of old pallets that looks tatty (I'm assuming your woodworking skills are as good as mine = non-existant).

I remember arguing with a lady from the council when my ME/CFS was so bad I was in a wheelchair, and being told I wasn't disabled enough for a blue parking permit.

Rules are there for the obedience of Fools and the Guidance of Wise Men - Petronius Arbiter, AD66.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,907

The other daft thing is they state it has to be a 'lean to' type.  You can only build a 'lean to' structure up against an existing wall or other building, as that is the definition of a 'lean to'!

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Do you think they mean a pent shed rather than an apex shed?  Some really rather dubious reasoning going on there I think.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,907

Yes, MMP, I'm sure that's what they mean.  However, if they insist on being picky, they should make the rules transparently clear.  How difficult would it have been for them to state 'pent roof'' instead of 'lean to'?.. image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • I wonder where they got those dimensions from. If they were meant as a maximum size, I wonder is the person who insisted on the shed being exactly that size is being officious or has misunderstood the rules him/herself? This is a stupid and unrealistic ruling as it stands.

• Really daft.  I think the rules  have been made up arbitariliy, without asking anyone with even a passing interest in gardening.  Is it worth printing off this thread and showing it to your local councillor, or going to a parish meeting with it?  I'm sure if they realise they are making a rule that's pretty daft and will lead to lots of unsightly constructions that will make it look like a shanty town instead of allotments, they will change their minds pretty quickly.

• This sounds like a Parish Council that has no idea what its role is. I can't believe that there aren't really important things to do in your village, like ensuring that public footpaths are properly maintained, leaning on houseowners who let their hedges overhang the pavement, sorting out people who leave dog-muck everywhere, etc. It sounds as though what they are doing to you is trying to make themselves look so busy that they haven't got time to deal with important and difficult things.

Why not get on the Council yourself and stir things up a bit?

• Search "UK Garden Buildings". I've used them and the quality is OK, especially if you go for the stronger floor and better roofing felt. However they're not the right size for your silly council! 

• Sorry I haven't updated for a while, haven't really got much more to add, the PC are looking into maybe a change in size, but surprise surprise the person who has the final say is on holiday. As soon as I get an update I shall let you all know, thanks for all your input so far thou