This morning's visitor........

Sorry jo, can't see the pic image

• star gaze lilystar gaze lily Posts: 12,857

Oh now I can, wasn't there just now image

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,932

Out during the day usually means a mother looking for food for cubs.  I started feeding mine(tin of dog food or bakers meaty chunks) at that point. We had cubs playing in the garden for quite a few years. My neighbours kids loved them.Some people dont and get upset by them. We thought they were very special, I had one cub that would take food from my hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPSjWz72MIM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_FUTAxKzv8

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • GardenmaidenGardenmaiden Posts: 1,117

We had one in the garden this morning. We have had the juvenile ones playing at the bottom of our garden, but early in the morning. I haven't seen cubs yet but hope to.

• jo47 wrote (see)

In over 10 years of sheep rearing (sometimes over 500 welshies) I never had one taken by a fox. 

You've been very fortunate indeed.   VERY lucky.  

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,453

Have you not see the news items about suburban foxes getting so used to humans they are entering homes and biting young babies and toddlers?

I certainly won't be encouraging any that venture onto my patch.

Happy to feed birds and hedgehogs and make insect hotels and log piles but I draw the line at foxes - and moles.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • annmarie 2annmarie 2 Posts: 154

ah so cute your lucky they can be shy , its a shame they have to come into towns to live now as the countryside disappearing ... as them getting into homes very rare so wouldn't be worried ,but hey isn't there more dogs that bite children but we stil have them in our homes spooky eh

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,453

No English papers in my village so I don't read them except on holiday Jo but I do watch the Beeb news every day.   

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Honestly, I think it's just media rubbish. 

http://foxproject.org.uk/whats-going-on-in-the-media/

I happily feed the foxes on our allotment. However, I never feed them by hand as they shouldn't try to be tamed and I don't feed them so often that they'd become dependent. I feed them wet dog food. They love it!

• We have a wee fox that comes into our garden every night (sometimes seen in the day too) and he/she is fed with all manner of goodies. Scraps from the dinner table mostly and salmon skins. I think we're very lucky to have the opportunity to help them and we should when we can.  Thank you fidgetbones for sharing the video - absolutely adorable.