Is my Mulberry Happy??

Hi there

this summer (2015) is the second summer for my King James Mulberry.

The leaves are starting to darken around the edges. I noticed it about two weeks ago and then this morning where it is worse. 

is king James unhappy?? I'm worried about him

• Rinus KRinus K Posts: 67

No, it's not happy Pauly.

If you live nearby the sea the salty air can cause the problem but more obvious is the pH in the soil is to high. Easy to solve with extra chalk.

Good luck

• Pauly3Pauly3 Posts: 15

being in the vale of evesham, salty air cannot be it. interesting... could it be the bark mulch raising the ph?

I'm on clay, I added manure when planting. I have given it seaweed solution and have regularly watered it.

I'd guess my soil is already very lime'y (high ph?) especially with the cotswold chipping on the ground.

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    One thing; your mulberry is planted too near the fence and wall. The tree is going to be huge when it is mature.

Both temporary obstacles within the mulberries lifetime. The photo was cropped from a long distance photo taken with a telephoto lens so it may look closer to the wall than it is. it's about 1.5 metres from both.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,565

The mulberry tree at my old college covers an area with a diameter of around 20ft.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    Yes, as I suggested, too close.

I'll take the wall down in 50yrs when the tree is mature and repost a photo then.

Any advice on the leaf problem. The nursery have today suggested a possible potassium deficiency.

Pauly3 wrote (see)

I'll take the wall down in 50yrs when the tree is mature and repost a photo then.

Any advice on the leaf problem. The nursery have today suggested a possible potassium deficiency.

Glad you're planning ahead Pauly3 image

The leaf problem looks more fungal to me.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,205

Maybe bacterial leafspot?

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.

Could well be Pansyface - I don't like using fungicides - do you think picking off and burning affected leaves and raking up all leaves in the autumn would keep the problem under control?