Forum home Plants

Plant ID

KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 566

I purchased 2 Stipa Gigantea a year ago.  One has flourished and flowered, but the other one has not flowered, and the foliage has a red tinge, which is not unattractive.  Has anybody seen a Stipa Gigantea with red foliage? Could this be something else entirely

, or is it just an immature plant that might take another year or so to flower?

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,091

No I don't think that's Stipa gigantea

Can you take a photo that includes the whole plant. image

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 7,650

Its definitely not S. gigantea, although not sure what it is.

Time is never time at all
    You can never ever leave
    Without leaving a piece of youth
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 2,660

Looks like Stipa arundinacea, or pheasant grass, also known as Anemanthele.

Iwondered about that Buttercup but thought it looked a bit stiff. Would like to see the whole plantimage

• Dave2356Dave2356 Posts: 42

Is it scirocco maybe?

That's a cultivar of the Anamathele lessoniana/Stipa arundincea isn't it.

It probably is. Best guess unless we see the whole thing and change our mindsimage

• KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 566

I think you're right about S. Arundinacea/Anom. Less.  Hadn't heard of that one before, but the copper/red colour looks very similar.  Have attached a full photo.  Nowhere near as nice as Gigantea, and I bought them as a pair, as they are in pots flanking some stairs.  Time to relocate it and buy another Gigantea.  Pesky garden centres, and this was from a usually reliable one.

Yes, that's the one. It does well in shade if you have a spot suitable. It does self seed (when it flowers) and I let them grow til they're full of dead stuff and then discard. I've never cut one back to remove the dead stuff which might be worth trying.