Forum home Tools and techniques

composting question

I've just got rid of my large plastic dalek (it was too tall for me to be able to turn it) and I have a new wooden compost bin.  I have very little kitchen waste but plenty of grass mowings as I have a large (very weedy/mossy) lawn and access to unlimited horse manure from the daughter's muck heap as well as the usual weeds etc from the flower beds.

Question, would a mixture of all the above make decent compost and if so, what sort of proportion of lawn mowings to horse manure should I aim for.  Would I need to add anything else?

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,228

I'd chuck in newspaper and cardboard too and anything chunkier and twiggier too. 

Devon.
  • DyersEndDyersEnd Posts: 730

Brilliant, I have plenty of chunky twiggy stuff too image  Thank you.

if you have a shredder, all the better, if not you can "shred" twiggy stuff by running a lawn mower over it, or just chop with secateurs.

Basically you're looking for a mix of nitrogen, ( grass and leafier stuff) and carbon, from twiggy bits, but also from newspaper and cardboard .

Trial and error and you'll get there.

Happy composting.

Devon.

And just chuck in a bucket full of muck heap material every now and then?

• PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 2,214

Oooh you lucky thing! If that horse muck is mixed with straw you will get beautiful compost. Add  the weeds from your flower beds and all the stuff mentioned above. Mix it all up, turn it from time to time and enjoy!

Yes, mixed with straw.  Wish you all lived nearer - they have a lot of horses!

I'm getting quite excited now image

• Hi Im glad you got rid of that plastic thing!  I have been making compost for many years and I find a good size is a  metre square. As I dont like to spend any money! I use  four wooden pallets that i get for free. I put these on a flat piece of ground that I dont want to use for anything else. I put them together to make a box type  shape. I fix them together at each corner with wire or plastic ties. It holds itself up. Good advise from everyone. Try and get a mix of "green and brown"  All the kitchen that goes into mine is first rapped in news paper. The waist is the green and the paper is the "brown"  Hope this helps.

Thank you James.  I don't have newspapers any more but I'm sure I can scrounge some from somewhere.  The plastic thing was here when I moved in and it's been a pain in the proverbial - had wasps nesting in it last 2 years image  Ordinary ones this year but horrible aggressive european ones last.  I got stung several times and ended up unable to go into that area of the garden for fear of being attacked.

• Ellen DEllen D Posts: 2

Bonjour: yes I'm in France where I've achieved my lifelong dream of having an acre of field to turn into garden (and now I wish I'd got a small courtyard & pots). With really heavy clay here I need loads of compost but the stuff sold in bags over here is expensive & not that good.  I'm on my own so don't create that much kitchen waste. I do have grass mowings when it's not all burnt off as at present. My question is: as I have lots of spare land I could grow a crop specifically to cut it and make compost, but what crop?  All suggestions welcome.

Ellen D

I've grown rainbow chard because it's pretty , but I don't eat it. Given how quickly it grows, maybe you could try this Ellen?

Devon.