Forum home Problem solving

Rainwater collection/ stagnant water

Hi,

when I moved into my house several years ago I inherited a recycling box that seemed to be collecting rainwater. It has sat in the corner all of this time unfortunately. It has a painted glass lid on it and is under a couple of bags of compost so is fairly concealed from the light.

I now feel I need to do something with this water as assuming it is stagnant now although it doesn't smell.

As my small garden is completely paved over I cant use it to empty over  the plants and worried that as it is so old it may not be save to do so.

Any advise please.

• tracycotracyco Posts: 4

Keep reading stuff about malaria, brain eating amoeba and legionella...to be honest I'm scare to touch it!

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,629

just empty it out. When it rains on your garden, it goes somewhere, the water will go the same way.

Devon.

But is that safe to do as the water is so old and may have bacteria in it?

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,629

your body is full of bacteria, otherwise your food wouldn't digest, image

If you're paranoid, wear rubber gloves, a face mask and tip it over with a very long stick. 

You'll survive, honest.

Devon.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,841

Oh gosh! We are just made to feel scared of our own shadows these days, you will be fine, I found worse than that when I moved here, no worry, just tip it out. You might make thousands homeless, but they will soon find somewhere else to breed.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 66,311

There's nothing in there that isn't in a pond, a ditch or a puddle, all of which I have spent most of my life in. 

Have a small brandy, trong cup of tea or similar, tip the water out, then come and tell us image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,841

Pinch your nose, it will stink.

dove I can relate to that, especially the ditch! Been there a few times image

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

Thanks for all your comments...maybe I'm being a bit nuerotic but the waters so old now : )

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 3,218

All water is old. It has been recycled millions of timesimage

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 66,311

Have you tipped it out yet?  We're waiting .............................. image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh