Forum home Plants

Hazel Nuts

Doogie72Doogie72 Posts: 62

In the garden I've recently moved into there are a couple of mature Hazel trees.  They appear to have quite a few nuts and I was wondering if they will be edible?  Are they likely to ripen on the tree or should I pick them in their green state and will they ripen on a sunny window sill?  I've seen a recipe for preserving them in honey that I fancy giving a go.

(Sorry if I've posted this isn the wrong section - wasn't really sure where this question fitted)

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,881

They will ripen on the tree - in my experience the first people to find that they're ripe are the squirrels, and then there will be none left image

If you're lucky and they leave some for you, I pick them just as the leafy husk containing the nut begins to turn brownish - leave them too long and the nuts will fall from the husk onto the ground. 

Then you can spread them out somewhere dry and warm and the husks will come off - I've never kept any long enough to cook with them, we just eat them - nothing like fresh hazlenuts image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,203

And no, they do not ripen off the tree. I pick them from the hedgerow along our lane. The time to pick is when the nut comes easily out of the husk. Gently push the top with your thumb and out it pops if ready.