Forum home Tools and techniques
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Ulrasonic pest scarer

Has anyone tried the ultrasonic pest scarer on rabbits, they are stripping my garden.

They look a bit cheap at 35.00 but I am getting desperate now.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

tsk, We're overun with bunnies this year and I was hoping to find something to get rid of them. 

I'm sure our resident Buzzards and Foxes are vegetarian.

Devon.
  • Katherine WKatherine W Posts: 410

In my old home and workplace it worked for mice. In the home itself, I don't know about the garden. Some firends of mine here tried it against moles and the moles galleries converged on the thing until a big mole-hill appeared under it and it was ejected from the ground.image

So, mh, I would not bet on it. Perhaps a water scarecrow? Or a fox terrier? I hate the beasts, but they do deter rabbits.

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

Our foxes probably number about 4, they are going to have to go some to keep up with way rabbits breed.

I was thinking of Verdun down there where there is a huge rabbit population. Primrose have two of these machines and as you say, the right up sounds good, pity they dont work.

• That's a shame - I was considering one of these as well. Although if they'd stick to just cutting the grass I wouldn't mind. image

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

Katherine, you made me laugh there with the moles image

we have mole catching off a treat but rabbits, noooooo!

• LeifUKLeifUK Posts: 573

I have solar powered pest scarers, about £12 each, and they do keep cats away. I had some cat poo recently, but in an area where the scarers are not pointing. I'd never had poo there before, only in the corner, where the scarers are. So I've bought two more. Will they work for bunnies? No idea. On Gardeners Question Time on R4 I'm sure they said only fencing will work.