Hosts question

Dave2356Dave2356 Posts: 42

My hosta Blue Mammoth has finished flowering. Do I dead head now or leave like I would for bulbs?

and do you dead head the whole flower stem right back to the base?

• WintersongWintersong Posts: 2,436

Yes, deadhead after flowering unless you want seeds? 

I've never done seeds, not even sure what occurs but I do do hostas and I've tried all ways,  removing flowering stalks early and removing afterwards. I found removing pre flowering was a battle of wills to get in there without damaging the leaves and they just grew another two for every one I lopped 

So,  this year I left it to do its thing with no penalty in the growth department 

I did read that the big blue ones think it's game over after flowering but so far mine are still going for it hammer and tongs

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,447

I leave mine on till they're all over - bees love the flowers - and then take each stem out back to its base along with any leaves looking a bit tatty and then, if in pots, I give them a good drink and some liquid fertiliser.    Most of mine die down in October and I haven't specially noticed the blue leaves one going earlier.

Maybe Hostafan will pop in and help as she knows her stuff about hostas.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,710

I'm with Verdun, as usual. I always mean to remove dead flower, but really just have too many,and certainly this year, they're a bit congested to walk through.

My over winter project this year is to label them all before the foliage starts to go over, then did them all up, split them, get some good muck into the ground, then start again. 

PS , no offence taken at the gender re-assignment Obelixx. image

Devon.
  • Dave2356Dave2356 Posts: 42

How many hostas do you have Hostafan?

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,710

erm, honest answer is I don't know. 

I'm sure over 100 varieties ( never counted ), but no idea on total numbers, maybe 400?

I've no idea what I'll do with them all when they're split, dump some, give some away, maybe even sell some. Not decided yet, but I certainly can't keep them all.

I split 65 varieties I had in pots and replanted them in my cool polytunnel, but have since bought more and not touched those in the ground since I planted them when we moved here 3 years ago. ( I brought over 150 pots with me )

Devon.
  • Dave2356Dave2356 Posts: 42

Well if you're gonna give them away................????

So I almost have as many as you..........just 397 to go......

• Maybe we can all pop over with a wheelbarrow for splittings?

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,269

i always seem to pop in to see Hostafan when he is plant splitting.

i think we should start a little business, you supply Hostas, cannas etc, I can do summer bedding. 

Those you gave me last week were 9.99 in the GC and the prims, 2.99. And they were no where near as good as yours.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.