Forum home Fruit & veg

Runner beans

I grow runner beans in a half barrel. I added horse manure to the compost and I water them well every day. For the last two years the flowers have fallen off. Can someone please explain why this is happening and how I can save this year's crop?

• pansyfacepansyface Posts: 21,531

My sympathy. I had the same problem last year and the year before. Plenty bees about and plenty flowers but no beans. I gave up on the red flowered type and tried the red and white flowered ones. Same problem. Finally this year I tried a white flowered variety called Moonlight. Bingo. Lots of beans. At first. Then a batch that set but shrivelled up. Now lots of beans again. 

So try a white flowered type next year. And hope for warm weather.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
    If you live in Derbyshire, as I do.
  • DorcasDorcas Posts: 159

I grow Moonlight too.  From experience, I know that the red flowering types attract the birds who can strip a plant of it's flowers rapidly. I only grow white flowered ones now and problem stopped 

• barry islandbarry island Posts: 1,613

I have grown wisley magic for a few years now they have never let me down and are full of flowers at the moment.

• NurseNurse Posts: 2

Thanks everyone. I think this may have been because my plants were drying out too quickly. I have now mulched them, water them twice a day and my beans are doing well. I will bear in mind the types you have recommended for next year though.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • BLTBLT Posts: 525

Flower drop occurs for several reasons.. Red varieties are more prone to this.. Particularly in hot dry weather.. I have tried the white flowered types but in the end went back to Scarlett Emporer.. Pollinating insect have been in short supply the last 2 years, Bumnle bees are heavier than a hpneybee and thus the flowers some times dislodge.. Misting the flowers morning and evening did help and I have many beans forming now.  /the bean frames do get battered by the wind sometimes so stake them well.