slugs

How can I kill definitely all the slugs in my garden? I've tried 2 diferents poison but either not solved my problem!

• Snow MaidenSnow Maiden South Coast UKPosts: 863

I don't think you will ever be rid of them. I just keep an eye out for them and 'dispose' of any that I come across, I also encourage birds into my garden and they are great little helpers at keeping them at bay. I really don't like using chemicals but have had to sprinkle a few pellets down to save some young plants from total destruction at the start of the season......but only a few as that was all that was needed, I've seen gardens that have been ' drenched' with pellets and its really not required as a light sprinkling is enough to do the job.

• Thanks

I will try to do the same... 

• Snow MaidenSnow Maiden South Coast UKPosts: 863

Good luck!

• I cannot use or trust chemicals in my garden due to our four-legged canine companion. However for a 'green' solution, buy some cheap bitter (not shandy/lager), pour some into a reasonably deep dish, leave the slugs to drink their way to oblivion and drown. Dispose of down drain after 3 days and start again. Works for me !

• DorcasDorcas Posts: 159

It's a year for slugs.  Non chemical things that I've found works (doesn't kill them but they slink off to someone else's gardenimage) - crushed egg shells around the plants (wash empty egg shells, bake in the oven for a few minutes and then crush - not too finely).  Get a few chickens, pick off the slugs and throw them in the chicken run.  A nice treat for chickens.  I've heard vermiculite around the plants work well too because although it traps water (and slugs like it moist), the stuff moves when a slug gets on it and slugs don't like that.  Encourage hedgehogs, they love slugs. 

• NorthernLass2NorthernLass2 Posts: 407

I won't use chemicals to kill such as slugs.   Rather I garden to encourage wildlife.   We've got hedgehogs and lots of birds and very few slugs.

• Vic16Vic16 Posts: 3

Ha ha the perennial problem of slugs!

Because our garden faces north there is a part of the garden which only see’s the sun in the late spring, summer and early autumn, in the winter it is deprived of sun, so we have turned that into a large Hosta bed, and they thrive.   Up until 3 years ago no matter how vigilant I was picking of the snails or how many slug pellets I used the slugs and snails returned to munch their way through the leaves, and there is no more saddening sight than to see these lovely Hosta’s with great holes munched in them. 

Until 3 years ago whilst at the Malvern show I got chatting to a chap who was selling Nematodes, now because I am cynical person I was very sceptical of these tiny microscopic creatures, until I watched them under a microscope, fantastic!   He gave me a card and I went on line and ordered some.  The “how “it works is quite gruesome, apparently they are ingested by the slugs and then eat the slug from the inside.  You need to apply them in late spring and again mid way through the summer in damp conditions.  Over the three years the number of slugs and the amount of slug damage i get has been reducing every year dramatically.  I never find any dead slugs presumably because their corpses just rot away in the ground, but during the winter “tidy up” I always find dozens of empty snail shells under the Hosta’s.  I know the purists will worry about the “nem army” as I call it, and it damaging the bird and wildlife.  But I have seen thrushes and blackbirds feasting on the corpses of those great “Spanish “ brown/orange monster slugs and the resident hedgehog (called George) seems unaffected and munches them happily and comes back every year, they all seem to appreciate having their lunches served up for them and all are thriving.  According to the literature the microscopic “nem army” is only able to survive on/in the slugs and only lives for 8 weeks in/ on the soil after they have been activated.

Because I keep bees as well, I am very cautious of any chemical treatments in the garden and very rarely if ever use them, primarily because again through personal experience I have found that by using chemicals it somehow confuse the bees sat nav’s.   The garden also backs onto to fields used in the past for oil seed rape and I have lost three colonies of bees, over separate years, they have just “disappeared” one day without warning.  The hives were doing well and the bees were happy stocking up the hive, a few days after the farmer sprayed the crop the bees disappeared.

So I say to the slug/ snail population take your best shot in my garden, I have millions of allies on my side.

Apparently, and I can’t confirm their effectiveness as I have only been using them for 1 year similar treatments are available for Weevils.

• chris 172chris 172 Posts: 405

hi been trying now for three years and no where near full clearance and dont think it will be achieved every. however vigilance on the plot is priority and do not leave any debris or materials That they can start living in.

spend an hour if you can every week especially after a rain shower as they will surface which makes it easy for collection.  beer traps are also good and any rough surface they do not like to cross

again hands are the best form of collection quickly and make sure that they are despatched properly and not just put in the garden or field next door as they come back

happy gardening 

• ERICS MUMERICS MUM Posts: 330

I've learned over years which plants are particularly susceptible in my garden -  and have stopped growing them !