Forum home The potting shed

Newbie alert!

Hi guys.

just wanted to say hi. I've just joined the forum, and have read some interesting threads, so im looking forward to being part of some of them.

a little about me... I studied at Capel Manor in Essex about 20 years ago for the RHS general exam, but work took over and I never finished the course. I think that some of the stuff is still rattling around in my brain somewhere though! We had a very small, triangular garden at the time, which was a challenge. But again, with work it was kept very low maintenance, almost courtyard.

ive recently moved to a new property which has a north facing garden. Work has changed, and my pace of life is much slower, so I can enjoy the garden properly at last. My new wife loves the garden (loves to relax in the garden I mean, she doesn't get too involved) and our daughter graduated university recently so the gardening as it was (pretty much a wasteland) needed a quick makeover.

Theres still lots to do. The 'shed' needs sorting, and the patch on the top right corner will be a small rock and scree garden. The planting will be done properly next season. We just used some plants from our previous garden, plus some oddments from the garden centres hospital rack! (We were on a budget!)

the overgrown patch at the bottom is girl our other daughters fairy wilderness garden, whatever that might be?! Oh and the candles on sticks were only in for the party. They're not a permanent design feature.

on Tuesday I start work at the local nursery and garden centre, and I'm hoping to finally start on a garden design course. I've wanted to do one for years.

anyway, thanks for reading. I hope that my little knowledge might be useful to somebody along the line

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,562

Hi Dave, welome to the forumimage

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 19,181

Hello Dave. That's a huge difference already.image

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • Dave2356Dave2356 Posts: 42

Thanks guys.

im hoping they'll be a big of a staff discount so that I can get the rock garden sorted soon. I always wanted one.

the garden was done over about a month, just a few odd hours a day. There was a drop of about 6" from left to right, so most of the time was spent levelling it out. We budgeted about £500 initially, and we managed to come in under that.

im looking forward to taking my time now, and seeing the garden grow and mature.

• 4thPanda4thPanda Posts: 4,145

Hi Dave image Good work image Enjoy the forum!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,391

Welcome aboard Dave image 

Love the way that garden's taking shape - lots of stuff for wildlife in it too image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 3,368

Welcome to the forum Daveimage

Garden looks great, love the odd shaped lawn and path - very cleverimage

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,125

I love the path too and it's nice you haven't gone for the 'narrow straight border round rectangular lawn' look! That's a lot of fence though! I see you have an ivy is it? at the far end but I think climbers must be on the top of your list. And a tree would be good, nothing too big, behind the shed perhaps, to make that side more interesting and cast some pretty shade patterns on the lawn.

Well done for picking up on the academic side again, never easy when you've been away from it for a while, and good luck with the garden centre.

• Dave2356Dave2356 Posts: 42

thanks Buttercup

yes, getting some height in the garden is a priority. The bench at the back has a jasmine and a honeysuckle planted behind it. There's also a passion fruit growing wild on the railway embankment behind which im trying to train (pardon the pun) over the fence. Also, on the left is what seems to be a sycamore sapling. There apparently used to be one in the garden before we moved in. I'll post a pic later for somebody to ID for me. The idea was to keep it to about 2-2.5m. Because it's on the west, it would create some dappled shade on the lawn.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 32,393

Welcome Dave.

Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,391

Noooooooooo!  not a sycamore - you'll never be happy with it - even if you can keep it short without making it look ugly, the leaves will get sooty mould on and go black - dig it out and get something you really like and will suit your garden image

I'm not bossy, honest!  image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh