Forum home Problem solving

Olive trees drying out and giving no fruits at all.

Hi,

My name is Huseyin Demir from Turkey/Aydin.

I have 100 hectars of olive trees, oranges, mandarin oranges and prunes. My main issue is with my olive trees, most of them are 15-20 years old and a few around a 100 years old. They do not grow any olives (if they do, its countable) for some reasons and I can't figure out why. I had them pruned last year (cutted all dry branches, etc), regularly watering the whole place (once per 2 weeks).

We used to live in Canada and made a comeback to live in Turkey. We are pretty new to trees maintenance, gardening, etc...

Any advice or anything that would help those trees give olives would be highly appreciated.

Here is a few photos of the trees drying out and those that aren't drying but have no olives on them at all

Also please take a look at this pics. It's a single olive tree near the entrance of my farm. Its never getting watered and no maintenance at all but its the single and only olive tree in over 300 trees which dont dry out and gives olives. I just don't get it

Thanks in advance for any help

• BLTBLT Posts: 525

I'd like to help but I only have one olive tree and its only a small one. I do get some olives on it and to be honest I kind of neglected it of late.  Most olive groves tend to be on quite poor soil and they still crop. Are they harbouring any disease?   Have you asked any other local olive growers for their advice? Local knowledge might be the key.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 66,312

I have no experience of growing olives on that scale - but my initial reaction to your first picture is that the olive tree is surrounded by much bigger trees which must be taking all the water from the soil. 

Have a look at successful olive groves in your area - are the olive trees surrounded by other trees or do they each have plenty of space? 

Watering once a fortnight isn't very much at all - how much water do you give each tree?

I agree with BLT, talk to local olive growers - make friends and seek their advice image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ItalophileItalophile Posts: 1,730

Dove's right, olives don't do well if they have competition for moisture and nutrients. We're surrounded by olive farms here and you never see anything other than olive trees and with plenty of space between them. I think you need to do some clearing.

It's also very good advice to talk to other local growers.

• Katherine WKatherine W Posts: 410

Yep, I spent two winters in Catalunia among beautiful olive groves... we were surrounded by an old "gone wild" olive grove... all among the trees ilex and pines had shot up (and brambles, oh the brambles!), and the trees had hardly any fruit, even if they were healthy (despite the fact thay they didn't get watered).

The productive olive groves in the neighbourhood were immaculately kept, pruned cleaned, weeded. The pruning is far more ivolved than just removing dead wood. Usually the olive trees are kept rather small, reducing the vegetative growth, and they need to be "opened" up, with lots of sun getting to the middle of the trees. The branches need to be sort of splayed open, as horizontal as possible, to get lots of sun and let the sap "linger" in the branch. It's fascinating, and complex. You need to ask an experienced person to show you how to do it.If the trees have been neglected for a long time they might need some serious restructuring before they become productive again.

Also, were herbicides used in the area? That turned out to be a serious problem in regions of Italy where Round up was used along railways etc. It seems that Olive trees are particularly sensitive to it, and can suffer badly even from tiny amounts carried on the wind.