Forum home Plants

Anybody else growing sunflowers?

Daryl2Daryl2 Posts: 452

On a whim I bought some sunflower seeds earlier this year. I've never grown them before and thought it might be fun as we have a south facing fence with a bit of trellis on top and I thought a row of sunflowers would look nice. I can't remember what variety they were and I gave the rest of the seeds to the local community garden still in the packet so I have no record. I'm sure I would have chosen ones that were destined to be about 6' tall so that the heads could just sit in front of the trellis.

Well, I have certainly got a lot more than I bargained for!!

They are so tall now that we had to add an extension stick to hold the top up and even if I stand on a little step stool I can't reach high enough to tie them in any more. 

• CeresCeres Posts: 2,126

Impressive!

• Im growing Sunflower Kong 

from seed & the biggest is 5ft so far image

• I grow a load against a wall near the kitchen back window.    It's an area where I've a large bird feeding station and I've a variety of things planted there specifically to provide bird feed.   I just let the sunflowers go to seed and the birds eat them. 

• Daryl2Daryl2 Posts: 452

Yes, the seed heads were partly why I wanted to grow them. I thought I could just leave them attached to the trellis for the birds to help themselves. 

• That's all I do.

• FruitcakeFruitcake Posts: 810

I've got some that are 7ft and some that are 18 inches, all different varieties and all have flowers open on them image 

I'm hoping the flowers will come soon before they get any taller. It's very windy where they are and I'm worried that if I can't tie them in they will snap off when the flowers open. 

• yarrow2yarrow2 Posts: 782

Blimey Daryl2 - you have monsters!   Monty Don on Gardeners World a programme or two was asking people to tell him about how high their sunflowers reached.  You should send a photo of you beside it.  Can't wait to see what kind of flowers you get. image

I remember that Yarrow but I think he might have been talking about people who got some free seeds from GW. Can't quite remember. Did anyone on here get sent free GW sunflower seeds? 

• I don't grow sunflowers - they just arrive!  Some in my pots, some in the flower beds.  I can't wait to see what colour the flowers will be!