Freaky Veg

SherbySherby Posts: 4

My sweetcorn this year has done something very weird. I have things that are half male and half female flower, where there ought to be corn cobs. The plants have normal flowers at the top, but lower down they have things that are half flower, half cob, with bits of cob halfway up a flower stalk and exposed. Has anyone any idea what could have caused this? Or had anyone else had similar things happen?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,217

Hi Sherby image

Could we see a photo please?  and do you know the variety of corn you're growing?

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• SherbySherby Posts: 4

The variety is Lark. I have uploaded images of two of my freaky flowers.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,217

Most peculiar image

I've not seen this happen before - has anyone else? 

'Lark' has an RHS Award of Garden Merit - I think I'd send them photos and details and ask what they think is going on.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c186/DavidKnapper/DSCN0295.jpg

No, but I've had tomatoes like this. image

• TopbirdTopbird Posts: 4,925

I've had a lot of strawberries with several little bums image (no photos - sorry)

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • I have got a problem with my aubergine, something is attacking them in the greenhouse, digging holes in them, what can that be?

• Shoz2Shoz2 Posts: 15

My Tomatillos are being odd..... spitting their lanterns behind them, but still growing in

a naked way!  Wonder if it was too hot for them earlier on.

The bottle brush flowers are !/4 normal size and finished very quickly too.

The Crocosmia are twice as tall as normal... peering over my 4 1/2 foot high wall.

What a strange year!

And lets not mention Ants.......

That's certainly a cheeky tomato. As far as I can see you have to be a member of the RHS to email them and I'm not, so I have sent an email and photos to Thompson and Morgan, whose seeds they were. They were fresh seeds but I also only got a 50% success rate with them; all of them germinated but some died off for no apparent reason. It was very hot at the time (distant memory at the moment), maybe that had an effect on them.