Forum home Problem solving

Ants in the Argyranthemums

I have lots of argyranthemums - several varieties, pink & white. For the past month I have been having problems with ants apparently nesting in them. The ants seem to excavate the base of the plant, heap earth up the stem and do whatever ants do.

The plants are dying off one by one. I have tried disturbing the ants, adding more compost to the base of the plant but I don't think I am winning.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Strangely enough, the ants seem to prefer the pink argyranthemums and seem to have left the white ones alone.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

A good drowning works wellimage Ants like it dry

• AlxNicAlxNic Posts: 255

Well, not ants in my pants but when I am out there gardening they are in my hair, my arms etc. There seems to be ants everywhere this year - grass, terrace, pots, flower beds. I poured boiling water around the plant today - I'm not sure if it's good for the plant but it is on it's last legs so I thought I'd try it. 

Verdun, the loose pockets you mention - the ants seem to have excavated the soil from below the soil level (where the stem emergesfrom the soil)  and mounded it up in the branches of the plant - so the argyranthemum is loose and the beginning of the roots are above the soil. That's why I have added compost back. Do you think that's the right thing to do? I have hesitated to dig up the plant and re-plant it.

• SupernoodleSupernoodle Posts: 954

I've clay soil and a poorly maintained lawn - only sees a mower.   So where on earth do the ants get the sand from when they nest in it??!