Disappointing bread beans.

ChandChand Posts: 11

I've not done broad beans for a couple if years as I've never really done well with them but this year I tried again and it appears to be all pod and no bean! I've got some lovely big pods but they only contain one or at the most two beans, with black specks where the others should be, I've got a fair few shrivelled and blackened pods that gave amounted to nothing but the plants look string and healthy with minimal black fly. 

Any advice would be gratefully received, not that I shall be bothering with them again but I don't like to not know what's going on! 

Thanks in advance. 

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,281

Sounds like poor pollination.  If there are few bees around when they are in flower not many beans will be produced in each pod, and completely unpollinated flowers will just fall off.  Not much you can do about it other than to try planting them at a different time next year or hope for a warmer spring.  Also try to grow bulbs and flowers which blossom from late winter onwards to help attract bees to the area.

What variety are they?

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • ChandChand Posts: 11

Can't remember the variety, I shall have a rummage through my planting diary and seed packets after tea To see if I can find it. 

I only got this garden last year and it was covered in weed control matting with stones on it, I've pulled all of that up and planted lots but I still don't feel like the pollinators have found us yet So Prehaps poor pollination is a factor. My courgettes don't seem to be gettingoll instead either.