Hydrangea

clogherheadclogherhead Posts: 506

With all the talk about Hydrangea's I was wondering which are your favourite types of shrubs do you grow pink or blue or somewhere in between or your growing conditions  i e  Acid /A lkaline

Derek

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 11,000

Neither as that kind does not survive my winter.   they flower on old wood which always gets frozen to pieces.

Last year I planted two of the paniculata kind which flower on new growth.  It remains to be seen how they cope.

The Vendée, France
  • Matty2Matty2 Posts: 4,820

I grow the most amazing hydrangea aborescens 'Annabelle'. Football size whitey flowers, slight perfume and really blousey. Just love it

Never really liked them till I met herimage

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRMDg_SmrTrb2w9KSE7XQ3kjV3LHEIXdBiLm-5jaP1HpX4Vv-m9og

Unfortunately this is off internet, do not have photo of my own

• clogherheadclogherhead Posts: 506

Hi Rosa , Unfortunately I don't one in my present garden ,but I had one in my first house when I lived in Dublin it was a glorious pink mop-head . North county Dublin is very chalky so if you wanted a blue you had to add sequestration of iron

Derek

• This is a hydrangea Annabelle last year in my garden. I have got several now as they are very easy to propagate. I have got them growing in both sun and shade and they seem to perform well.

They brighten up a dull corner.

Chris

• Matty2Matty2 Posts: 4,820

This is the 2nd garden I have had it. The first was in sun, In this garden it was one of the first plants I put in, here it has shade in the morning and this year the flowers were so large I had to put in supports

• That's what I waas wondering about Annabelle. The flowers are gorgeous but the stems seem lax and in need of support. I like hydrangeas, they give such value for money in terms of their long flowering period and toughness - and they are so easy to propagate from cuttings.

• It is true of some of the David Austin roses, too.

• i have both in same garden so guessing my compost heap has had different ph levels when i mulched round them