Forum home Wildlife gardening

Serious bird feeder question!

Does anyone actually have any success with bird feeders with integrated anti-squirrel cages? I had one and gave up using it as none of the little devils would go inside.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,183

Life's hard to understand sometimes isn't it?

Like today. I saw a paramedic van marked Patient Transport Service and the driver was going like the clappers. It's not right.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Pat EPat E Posts: 11,602

Steve. Interesting you should talk about that problem. We have a large bird feeder that our daughter made for me last Christmas and I regularly put seed out for the Crimson Rosellas and Gallahs.  Unfortunatelly, other big greedy birds have commandeered the feeder and the rosellas struggle to get their share. 

Then I bought a bird feeder with an inner tube for the small birds and guess what - the rosellas have found out they can hang onto the outer cage wire and stretch their necks enough to reach the small seed in the inner tube!

I'm not sure we can win with thIs. They will always find a way to get what they want.

S. E. NSW
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,288

I've resorted to " humane" traps to get rid of squirrels. 

Devon.
  • I don't mind the odd bit of squirrel pillage but I bought one of those nuttery red ball shaped feeders a while ago and it is in the garage as all I used to do was put fresh food in then a while later, remove exactly the same amount of mouldy food then repeat. 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,954

Same problem for me Steve. Waste of money. If the holes are big enough for the birds, they're big enough for the squirrels - and even worse here, the b****y starlings who just hoover up everything.

Someone suggested hanging feeders on a washing line type of arrangement. I think they eventually work it out, but it might deter them for a while.

pansyface - 'patient' transport...very good  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Pat EPat E Posts: 11,602

In some respects I don't really mind refilling the feeders for whatever birds want food because there is not much grass seed around the paddocks for them to find and they need to keep their energy up somehow with the colder weather.   I noticed two kookaburras being very active when I stood at the bedroom window.  I suppose some little lizards won't be seeing the end of winter. 

I have tried to buy suet or lard around the district without success because I wanted to have a go at making the balls I've seen in the GW magazines, but the 3 butchers in town as well as the three grocery chains all said no.  I think they've gone all health conscious and decided that we all should eat low fat food.  My daughter even tried in Canberra for me. But no luck.  As a last resort I rang the local abbatoir and they only make tallow!  Sigh image

S. E. NSW
  • LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    Steve The Gardening Vet it is possible to buy sequel feeders from cj wildbird food company they have wooden and metal ones, I bought a mealworm feeder with a cave the birds wouldn't go in thatimage
  • Fairygirl, starlings are also dropping in numbers fast so, thuggish as they are It's still good to feed 'em!

• Steve the Gardening Vet wrote (see)

Does anyone actually have any success with bird feeders with integrated anti-squirrel cages? I had one and gave up using it as none of the little devils would go inside.

Ooooo one of my favourite hobbies... birds .... 

We have red squirrels which have altogether different habits.  Much more shy and I've never actually seen them on the bird feeders.     Indeed we have 30 squirrel nesting boxes in the woodland here.

When I lived further south though they were a total PITA!   My partner saw it as a personal challenge to try to get rid of as many as possible and to "squirrel proof" my bird feeders and believe me it wasn't pretty!    Serious industrial engineering and metal work but eventually we got there.   

Here though I can actually have hanging feeders and not worry about those grey rats with furry tails! 

I do still use quite a few "squirrel proof" feeders though because I want to stop things like crows and rooks and I also like to have something where the little song birds can shelter in the case of a bird of prey strike.     So I've quite a few that have the cage round them.  

I feed a lot and buy all my stuff from a couple of places on line.  The squirrel proof ones I've found most effective for keeping squirrels from eating everything are the ones that close when something heavy lands on it.   

These are the sort I mean:

http://www.gardenwildlifedirect.co.uk/bird-feeders/the-squirrel-buster.html

http://www.gardenwildlifedirect.co.uk/bird-feeders/seed-saver-200-1-6-litres.html

• Thanks NorthernLass2, I envy you your red squirrels!

I'm less bothered by the larger beasties nicking stuff and more in whether small birds will actually enter these things routinely. I suspect the ads you see online have a lot of photoshopping!