Pruning lavender and rosemary

SwedboySwedboy Posts: 297
In Friday's episode of GQT on member of the panel recommended a woman to cut back her splitter lavender really hard to rejuvenate it (she had dug it out so she couldn't). I thought you couldn't do that as these plants don't sprout on old wood. Or did he mean that it would come again from the roots?

• ElusiveElusive Posts: 992

From experience I always just cut my  Lavender Back after its flowered and then again if it has a 2nd flush. It tends to stay in good shape that way.

I had a bad experience of cutting to the ground, My plants DIED :P

• FloBearFloBear Posts: 2,281

I have done as described in GQT and got a small leggy lavender to resprout from low down.

• It's so easy to produce or buy new plants that I can't imagine going to all that trouble.

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,168

I agree, I remember reading in a Victorian novel about a commercial lavender grower who replaced all his plants every 6/8 years; I expect they have improved the plants since then but I bet they still replace them frequently.

• FloBearFloBear Posts: 2,281

I just did it as an experiment to see if it worked. Like others, I would normally replace in easier ways.

• ladygardener2ladygardener2 Posts: 340

I think it was lilac they were talking about no?

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,168

I have 2 Rosemary, one bushy and the other is (supposed to be ) columnar. But I have to keep pruning it and wiring it to stakes to encourage this. The other one I hack around as I please as it wants to be a small tree.

• nightgardennightgarden Posts: 106

I have quite a large lavender bush that I cut back to the old wood for 3 successive years and it has flowered well each summer  - but it is now seemingly active from about half way up the plant with a lot of bare stems beneath and looks quite messy.

What's the best thing to do to bring it back to the bushy creature it used to be?