Forum home Problem solving

When to prune/cut back

I have a bay and two laurels in the front garden, which give privacy down side of my house.  They are now too tall and also need trimming back down their sides.  I know both can take cutting back but when is best time.  I have been told not to do it in the autumbn in case frosts attack the newly cut branches (I live in Dorset) but come the spring the birds are a-nesting.  Help please.

• barry islandbarry island Posts: 1,054

It looks like a difficult one as laurel needs trimming in late spring I don't know how you can get around this.

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

I'd agree with Verdun here, done now there will be sufficiently hardened stems and leaves to get it through all but the harshest winter. 

• CeresCeres Posts: 1,921

I'll second that. If it needs trimming, do it now. Its not always possible to trim hedges in spring if the birds start nest building before you can slip into your thick woollies and padded coat.

• FirecrackerFirecracker East Lancashire.Posts: 256

I'll be trimming our laurel hedge in the next two or three weeks, never had a problem doing it at this time in the year. I know I shouldn't but I use an electric trimmer then go over cutting the bad ends.

• Itching to get out and started but lots of wind and rain so will have to wait.  Many thanks for the help