Garden produce recipes

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

Thanks pansyimage

• 1Runnybeak11Runnybeak1 Posts: 8,492

Hello Artjak.   I wondered where you were.  image

• Pat EPat E Posts: 8,245

Thanks Lily P.  I like the look of the recipes so far - must have a go at them.

S. E. NSW

Hello runnybeak, yes I'm back againimage

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 27,004

Hi artjak - hope you're well. We've missed 'seeing' you  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 18,205

We have soft fruit coming out of our ears at the mo so I have a pan of blackcurrants on the go to make spiced blackcurrant jelly which I know is delicious:-

1kg blackcurrants, 900ml water, 5cm cinnamon stick and either 12 cloves (I sometimes substitute 3 star anise for the cloves)  

Bring to the boil and simmer for one hour.   Strain through a muslin into a large bowl, pushing gently to extract the juice but not force it or it will go cloudy.  Add 200ml of cider vinegar and stir well.  Return the juice to a clean pan and add 450g of sugar for every 600ml.  Heat gently till the sugar is dissolved and then boil hard till setting point is reached.   Superb on croissants, fresh bread and toast, especially with cream cheese and can be used in sauces for meat and game, like redcurrant jelly but with more oomph.

I have another pan experimenting with redcurrant, orange and raisin marmalade and OH has just picked 2 huge mixing bowls worth of purple gooseberries from our two wee shrubs.  Heaven knows what they'll do when they mature!

I'm going to try gooseberry crème brulée tart which is a recipe I found on BBC Good Food and freeze the rest for later.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Hi Artjak, I have the best compost ever in my daleks after following your instructions, love to Flossie x

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    I've just made some redcurrant jam, I always use my pressure cooker it reduces the time to cook then use the base to Finnish it offimage

Fairyg, thank you am v. well. KEF, brilliant news about the compost. Flossie (or Mrs. Barker as she is sometimes known spent the winter in Portugal with friends - can you believe it? A Jack Russell who winters abroad!)

If it stops tipping down with rain I am going to harvest some lettuce and lovage to make soupimage

• Lily PillyLily Pilly Central southern Scotland Posts: 3,845

hi artjakimage Please could you share your soup recipe? Sounds yummy 

obelixx. That is a lovely twist on a jam, will look forward to trying itimage

Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
    A A Milne