Garden produce recipes

• Doogie-I have got to try me some of that Vinegar!!

My recipe for Cucumber Pickle-

4 large cucumbers

3 large onions

2oz salt

570ml white wine/cider vinegar

454g sugar

1/2 tsp tumeric

1/2 tsp ground cloves

1 tbsp mustard seeds

Thinly slice and layer the cucumbers,onions and salt in a bowl,weigh down with a plate and leave for 3 hours. This will get rid of excess liquid from the veggies. Pour away this liquid and rinse the veggies and drain.

Put vinegar ,spices and sugar in a stainless steel pan and heat, when sugar is dissolved add cucumber and onions and bring to the boil for 2 minutes. Remove the veggies, then put into sterilised jars.Allow the cooking liquid to boil down to a thick syrup.Pour this onto the veggies, then finish with a plastic lined lid whilst still hot

• Oh...got another one-Apple and Herb Jelly.

600ml Apple Juice(a carton is fine)

300ml white pickling vinegar

3 to 4 tablespoons of your favourite herb combination

1 bag of jam sugar

Warm the juice and vinegar together with the sugar to dissolve, then add your chopped herbs and a knob of butter. Boil for 4 minutes only, then allow to cool a little before pouring into sterilised jars. Put lid on whilst still hot(be careful not to burn yourself when doing this-use a cloth or teatowel to cover the lid). When cooler, turn upside down to make sure that herbs are evenly distributed. Lovely on carrots and cabbage with your roast dinnerimage

You can also use cider instead of apple juiceimage

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

Just made 9 litres of goosegog wine, and invented a very good (if I say so myself) courgette and feta soup the other day.

A neighbour introduced me to the idea recently of adding a handful of herbs to salad; delicious.

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    Hi mobow thanks for that, my mother in law did something similar, she made her plum jams with less sugar and said it was suitable for a pie fillingimage
  • Invicta2Invicta2 Posts: 663

A recipe for red or white currants s to stew them for a short while adding sugar to your preferred level of sweetness then allow to drip through a muslin bag, do not squeeze to ensure clear juice. Mix juice with white wine and gelatine to make a red or white currant wine jelly.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 15,348

Runner beans Italian style

A good big bunch of runner beans, trimmed and sliced and steamed until just tender.

3 garlic cloves, chopped and gently fried in 2 tablespoons of olive oil (not browned at all) until soft.

3 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice, the zest of one lemon and some salt and pepper.

A good handful of freshly grated Parmesan cheese.

Combine everything except the cheese and give it all a good shake around in the garlic pan.

Add the cheese as you serve it. It is a nice side dish with meat or it makes a very tasty sauce with some short pasta.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

pansy, that sounds wonderful. Do you think it would work for French Beans?

• Pat EPat E Posts: 8,245

Lily Pilly, can you copy and paste my recipe for mint cordial, please.  I don't feel confident to have a go at it.

S. E. NSW
  • Lily PillyLily Pilly Central southern Scotland Posts: 3,845

Here is Pat's delicious sounding recipe, making it tomorrow!

Mint Cordial. 2 cups sugar, 1 cup water,  half cup white vinegar, juice half lemon, 6 sprigs fresh mint (I always use spearmint). Stir sugar and water over medium heat until dissolved. Add vinegar and lemon juice and return to steady boil. Boil 15-18 minutes until thick, skimming as required. Test on cold saucer (need honey consistency).

Have mint well washed and drained and add to boiling syrup. Boil 1 minute, remove pan from heat and leave to cool.

Strain, pour into a bottle and seal and store.

To serve as beverage, one third of syrup in glass of cold water or soda water.

I should also acknowledge this is basically from Tess Mallos's book called "The Complete Middle East Cookbook" - in the Iranian section. Syrup is called Sekanjabin. (Pronounced, if I remember correctly) Sek-anj-abeen. I haven't seen my neighbour - friend for a few years, so I've probably got the pronunciation a bit off and also the recipe doesn't specify which kind of mint to use, but since I only grow spearmint, that is what I use.  It's also delicious, undiluted on ice cream or yoghurt. I'd love to hear if you like it when you get a chance to make it.

Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
    A A Milne
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 15,348

Artjak, I've only ever made it with runners. French beans might be a bit more chewy and not so meltingly delicious but why not give it a go and see if you like it.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.