Shrub

Hello everyone on this very cold day. Could anyone give me some advice on slitting a large shrub called rose of Sharon it's in my garden and I would like to dig it up and slit into two and place one bit back in the hole and the other somewhere else in the garden is it a good idea or should I leave it aloneimage

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,806

You cannot spilt a woody shrub-what you could do is take cuttings and grow them on

But you need suitable cutting materialimage

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,218

Hi Tracy

Is this one of the shrubby hypericums? What I know as Rose of Sharon spreads itself without help from you or me. If it's shrubby and has two or more stems from below ground level you may be able to split it. Hard to tell without looking at it. If you do split it try and keep a good lump of root untouched so you'll at least still have the original if a split off piece doesn't survive.

• Thanks for that sotongeoff I will have a go at that. It's just got a bit big now and I'm not confident enough to give it a trim to bring the width and height of it down. Basically I planted it in the wrong place about six years ago I'm still very new to gardening and I'm looking through the window thinking of what I should move and where I've gone wrong thanks again.image
  • Hello nutcutlet my shrubs looks like it has lots of stems down in the ground so maybe I could split it then.image
  • LynLyn Posts: 8,371
    If you wait till it flowers, it will seed itself all over the garden, I planted one last year and at the end of summer there were dozens of them, you could put some up and discard the main plant if it's too big.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 
  • artjakartjak Posts: 4,168

I have 2 hypericons and I cut them back quite ruthlessly whenever they are getting a bit bossyimage

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,218

There's the ground cover invasive one, the shrubby ones like 'Hidcote', the seed everywhere type, (Hypericum androsomething or other). Which one have you got?

• I'm not sure which one i have I know it looks lovely every year with its bright yellow flowers that last for ages but doesn't spread seed anywhere but it has got bigger and very round can't send you picture can't send them on ipad not sure howimage
  • Jean GenieJean Genie Posts: 1,724

There is also a Hibiscus that is called a Rose of Sharon image

• I've found it in a book it's a hypericum calycinum hooray so what can I do with it now everyone split it trim it or leave itimage