Forum home The potting shed

Compostable Kitchen Caddy Liners

Hi All

I've searched everywhere to find an answer to this question.

I use 100% compostable caddy bin liners in my kitchen waste bin, does anyone know how long they take to degrade?

• marshmellomarshmello Posts: 683

From what i understand there are 2 types Photodegradable plastics and Oxo-biodegradable plastics. I think the latter takes about 2 yrs to breakdown depending on where it ends up.

• mdw84mdw84 Posts: 105

Thanks Marshmello.

I thought that maybe the case, I wont be putting them in my composter then

• marshmellomarshmello Posts: 683

Your welcome.

• BrummieBenBrummieBen Posts: 459

can I ask why you use liners? Why not just use the caddy, and when it's full, empty it and then wash it out? What is the point of liners exactly? I mean washing the caddy out takes all of 30 secs with hot water?

• mdw84mdw84 Posts: 105
    Thanks for the sarcasm Ben. They are to stop the bin stinking. 2 years at degrading I won't be using then again that is not degradeable in my eyes so am going to use recycled kitchen paper
  • brummie ben maybe they don't like cleaning out a dirty bin each day.

• I do put them in the composter. They degrade to an extent and I simply pull out the remaining bits when I am using the compost. A bit of a nuisance but less messy that not using anything in the bin. I also put in tea bags even though I have to break them up before I can dig them into the garden.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,283
    Mine goes in the bin then up to the compost heaps. How will paper stop it smelling I wonder.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Gardengirl..Gardengirl.. Posts: 3,981

I used them in the bin and compost looking good but bags still in bits in compost bin as end up picking bits out putting them back in the bin to compost more, so after a bit gave up with them and still year or 2 later still picking them out compost not so good

I would not say to use them as take too long to compost

Hampshire Gardener
  • I don't use them for compost, just pull out what remains as I go along. Matter of laziness really - I could have emptied the contents into the composter and thrown the bags away!