Forum home Problem solving

Apple Sooty Spot

I have about 12 assorted apple trees early, mid and late season, cookers and eaters. a few of them, Ben's Red, Green Sleeves, James Grieve and Red Admiral have always been susceptible to Fly Speck and Sooty Spot. This year all apples are affected and there is going to be very few usable fruit, and a write off. Garden fungicides are a no-no these days so what is the best treatment? I would like to soak trees and ground with fungicide but the neighbours may notice the tanker outside with HAZCAM  signs.....

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,001

Well, here at least it's been a lousy summer. Too much rain. Too much wind. Hardly any sun. Cold. All classic conditions for moulds and disease.

Has it been the same for you? 

Sometimes you just have to accept defeat. Next year Jerusalem, as the saying goes. Pick up the leaves as they fall and have a bonfire. It will help you keep warm.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,520

The fruit is still edible, once it has been peeled, but obviously it does not store.

• David AmosDavid Amos Posts: 27

Shame. Heavy crop of rubbish fruit......

We have a fair number of apples which naturally do not store (Discovery, Katy for example) These we peel and purée and freeze the purée for winter use either in cake making or added to yoghurt.

We also juice a lot and freeze the juice, again for winter use.

So, your apples may not be perfect but unless you  intend selling them, the crop is not a total loss.

Have just been reading an article about a free safe fungicide. Human urine. The Urea is a natural fungicide. Apply as the leaves fall and again before the leaf buds open. Now if only I can get that high......

Lots of beer and a ladder?

I have found somewhere that does 1 Kg Urea at £10.99. Use at 0.5-2% solution as a foliar spray. May give it a try.