Forum home Fruit & veg

Composted bark

roxy2roxy2 Posts: 23

I have a new allotment and it has very poor thin sandy soil that I need to improve. I have access to some well composted conifer bark which is too good for paths. Could I use it around some new fruit (currants) bushes that I have planted and around some very overgrown gooseberries as a mulch. I was also hoping to use it around brassicas that I have bought in cells.

Will it change then ph of the soil too much or could I mix it with something else?

Any help would be appreciated, I am keen to use it as there is loads and I have only just started my compost heap.   

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,349

I think it would be fine to use around your fruit bushes but I would hesitate to use it around brassicas because of the pH issue.  They would still grow but it might encourage any clubroot spores in your soil.  In the Autumn I would dig some into your soil and test the pH in Spring - if it is below about 6 you can always add some garden lime to sweeten the soil and bring it back to neutral (7) or even slightly alkaline if growing brassicas.  I would also mix some in with your compost heap - added sparingly it won't hurt.  The other thing you could use it for is growing blueberries - mixed with 1/3rd of your own compost and about 1/3rd John Innes #3 it would make a great growing medium for use in containers. image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • roxy2roxy2 Posts: 23

Thank you, great advice I'll do all that.

• BLTBLT Posts: 525

I have a triple bale of fine composted bark and i was holding off using it until autumn. I I thought it woiuld be a good weed supressant and then dig it in  before the spring planting time to improve soil. I tend nit ti grow brassicas as my garden is small..