people moving into an area and paving over the front garden

I think people who pave over gardens to make room for more than two cars!! should be made to pay an x amount of extra council tax for every extra car space!.

• B3B3 Posts: 9,168

Our road is full of Zen carparks and there isn't even a parking problem! I think they consider them low  maintenance - until the weeds start poking through that is.

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Green MagpieGreen Magpie Posts: 778

I suppose they could argue that by providing off-road parking, they're keeping the street clearer and reducing congestion.

But there are limits now to the area of hard, impermeable surface you can put down. So gravel is OK but paving may not be, over a certain amount.

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,754

Dreadful but hard to avoid.  The main problem is lack of drainage into the soil and excessive flow in the sewerage system,  This has been partly responsible for some of the flooding in recent years.image

• annmarie 2annmarie 2 Posts: 154

I park my car on my drive , I did make it into a larger drive with the family all having cars ,we don't really want to leave them on the road to get damaged.... but I must admit we do leave one on the road as I always have some twit parking across my drive, and my youngest son has special needs so we need to always be able to get in and out quicker.... sorry if you think were all  pain in the butts . do you have a car by any chance

Yep - I'm a polluter like most of us.  Sadly I have no garden at all though at the moment, just helping in others' gardens.  And no drive either - I have to leave mine on the (quiet) road.

No easy answers I fear.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,529

Are you objecting to two cars or the paving Stewart2?

There are lots of things that I think people should pay extra council tax for. I, of course, should get a rebate for being such a considerate, quiet, consciencious and undemanding sort of person.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.

One possible solution is this stuff or similar which allows rain to drain through into the groundwater reservoir and avoids much of the run-off to the road.  We had it at the last place I worked and it seemed to be OK.  Bound to be more expensive than concrete/tarmac etc. though.  And weedy.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 53,457

When we moved here we had the concrete drive removed and replaced with gravel over a permeable base - , it makes possible intruders wary because we can hear footfall on the gravel, it's safer in icy weather so I don't slip and  it doesn't contribute to flooding.  I don't know why everyone doesn't do it - it's cheaper than block paving too and much easier to deal with the very occasional weed that appears.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• cathy43cathy43 Posts: 373

Steve309 I use that type of stuff to make garden paths accessible for wheelchair and its not that expensive because I can do it myself and not have to get a builder, its also has good grip because of the grid in the winter and not weedy if permeable membrane spread under it, also the gravel doesn't need raked because of the grid

Sounds ideal Cathy!