Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

wild strawberries

B3B3 Posts: 27,472

Have loads of wild strawberries dotted about. I've heard that they are supposed to be very tasty. Mine are not.

Admittedly,I just let them do their own thing.

Should I be nurturing them. If yes, how and will it be worth it?

In London. Keen but lazy.

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

You have to let them get really really ripe before they turn sweet B3. It's a very short period of time, otherwise they're quite tart.

• WateryWatery Posts: 388

Mine are not either and I've tried them at very ripe stages.  Mine are in a shady spot though.   But even the birds don't like mine.  I have many blackbirds in my garden and they ignore them.

• landgirl100landgirl100 Posts: 655

Wild strawberries don't need any special nurturing, they often grow in thin poor soil in the wild. I suspect the dry conditions this year might affect the taste. However, all the ones I have popped into my mouth on country walks have been yummy!

• cornellycornelly Posts: 970

I try and get them before the birds in our shady glen, lovely they are too, we have them in some of our flower beds they taste the same, the plants are removed before they spread too far

• B3B3 Posts: 27,472

Maybe it is lack of water. Should they be juicy? Mine are more pulpy than juicy.

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 12,566

My neighbour gave me a wild strawberry plant back in March. It's now filled a 1 litre pot & is producing runners.

We don't have a lot of shade in our garden, in fact the only place is under some conifers which is really dry & tends to be used by local cats, if you know what I mean image.

I was thinking of planting it in a hanging basket in the shadiest place I can find. Can anyone give me some advice as to how I should care for it?

Many thanks.

• cornellycornelly Posts: 970

With us they grow anywhere we let them, in all sorts of conditions and soils, in a basket they will need to be fed and watered, I would think a general liquid fertilizer would suffice.

Thanks cornelly - if I move it into an unheated greenhouse over the winter to give it some protection, would that be okay do you think?

• steephillsteephill Posts: 2,841

They don't need winter protection, they are quite hardy.  We have them growing all over the place, so much so they have become weeds. Delicious weeds but weeds none the less. They grow in gaps in paving and cracks in concrete as well as acting as ground cover in any beds so can tolerate very poor conditions.

I think they would do well in hanging baskets given normal levels of food and water but they don't need mollycodling. No need for winter protection like an unheated greenhouse.

Last edited: 13 June 2017 18:22:55

Thanks steephill,  I'll be planting up this weekend.image