Rhubarb

Hello, I am hoping somebody might be able to give me some advice on rhubarb grown from seed. I planted 15 seeds last year and was very successful with the plants. Planted them onto our allotment and some in the garden. I have been looking for any signs of life, but alas, it seems there are none at the moment. My neightbours rhubarb is coming back lovely, is it to early for solme rhubarb to be beginning to grow?

• Put a bucket over it.  The extra heat and the darkness will spring it into life.

• LeggiLeggi Posts: 489
    Depends if he wants to force it or not though. It's still a bit early yet, mine are just starting to poke through.
  • FloBearFloBear Posts: 2,281

It does depend where exactly Alijoynot is. I'm in East Dorset and my early crown has been growing for several weeks, unforced.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,255

Baby rhubarb, from seed last year, will be a bit behind established plants and not very big when it does appear. Don't give up hope. 

• Im in Wiltshire and like FloBear my early crown has been growing for a few weeks

• Alan4711Alan4711 Posts: 1,569

Hi allimage our rhubarb  given to us last summer was already 3 years old and  has only just poked its head through this week ,only about 2" high but the allotmenteers say everything is ok just a bit early yet,so not to worry mi duck get the custard ready

Good luck

Alan4711

• I live on the coast in N Ireland and have already had the first crop.  I've had the bucket over one head for a week now and the second crop is almost ready.  

• Mine's just poking through - I never force it. Can't wait for it to get going though cos I love it

• chicachica Posts: 252

on my allotment its two feet high,but in my garden 2 inched high only about a mile apart,has anyone made rhubarb wine,as i would love to try it,providing its not to hard to do.

• jif73jif73 Posts: 3

No it's not hard - just remove the cork from the bottle, pour into a glass and sip... Oh... Wait a minute... When you said you'd love to try it...