Slugs

I was listening to Pippa on Radio 2 on way back from work this evening and she mentioned an eco friendly worm thingie to be watered over garden.   Didn't catch what it was called or too much about it.. She mentioned it doesn't harm wild life but will get rid those horrid slugs and snails which I have an abundance of; and those underground too.  I have tried so many things and always end up with the pellets as this is the only way to get rid of them, although I am so aware of the harm to the birds, particularly as I have a hedge full of sparrows, and lovely pair of redbreasts etc etc.

• Bunny ...Bunny ... Posts: 3,455
    Nematodes ? Few use those on here ..
  • sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,806

Probably nematodes

http://www.allotment.org.uk/allotment-diary/2007-05/controlling-slugs-with-nemaslug-nematodes

you could always listen again on i-playerimage

• clogherheadclogherhead Posts: 506

Hi Pamelala , I think you are describing Nematodes (Slug-Killer) sold in packets for 6 weeks or 12 weeks , it does what it says on the packet

;Derek

• PamelalaPamelala Posts: 8

Bunny can you tell me why ' only a few use those on here?'

Thank you sotongeoff will have a look.

• BrummieBenBrummieBen Posts: 459

usually the cost!!! Personally go out every evening once it gets a bit milder collect them up, and dispose of them, if only you could eat them eh? lots also grow a little extra produce which is then sacrificed, slugs won't go eat the hostas if there's lovely young lettuce or cabbage spread around the plants you want to keep! Lettuce you can grow 10 a penny, also means collecting them up is real easy every night.

• Bunny ...Bunny ... Posts: 3,455
    I don't use anything ...as Ben says cost .. I hunt them at night image I haven't yet found the guts to snip with scissors image
  • artjakartjak Posts: 4,168

Brummieben, how do you dispose of them?

the old underfoot method, Mind, I have to say dead slugs make even better bait than young lettuce to other slugs.. I do occassionally use pellets but very very very sparingly. I try to get one pellet every 4 square inches. And this is only at start of season on my raised beds. They are set in a gravel area, so it's usually only the keeled slugs in the ground that need killing.

• Caz WCaz W Posts: 1,353

Just been googling ways to get rid of slugs and think this sounds a good use for all those fiddly pennies we seem to collect!

Protect your crops with Copper. Slugs get an electric shock when they touch the shiny metal. You can buy ready-made copper plant guards or just adorn your raised bed frames with copper flashing and hot-glue rings of pennies around the tops of containers. Drop captured slugs into a jar of pennies and watch ‘em spark!

from experience copper strips aren't always effective, however a mini electric fence with a 9 volt battery is. Very simple and easy to stick around raised beds..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZdeyWuHbAE

I'm ok because I decided my raised beds would have gravel around them, because the beds get the sun most of the day, I don't have a mollusc problem with my veggies, I use sacrificial crops to protect my flowers.

here's another one, the setup is really simple, maybe useful for the non gravel raised-bed types

http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_269554&feature=iv&src_vid=EQ8RFlR0mD4&v=ZoBeKS64_xc